Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigging a Leblond Regal 13"

Hello everyone;

It seems like tonight I become the proud new owner of a Leblond Regal 13" lathe. The roundhead 46-late 50's model on cast iron legs, not a cabinet. It needs to be moved right away, and I'd like to avoid the expense of professional riggers. The travel distance is about 7Km. I'm guessing at a weight of 1700Lbs. My plan for moving it is:

Get a uhaul trailer towed by a sierra 1500. Would I be OK with the 5X9 single axle, or should I use the 6x12 tandem axle? How much use is the ramp likely to be?

It will be loaded at the purchase site by a forklift. Unloading will be where it get interesting.

My current plan is to have some boards bolted to the feet, to run pipe rollers under.

The headstock will be at the front of the trailer, with either a comealong that has a brake or a chainfall attached to it.

The tailstock end will have another comealong attached.

The trailer will be leveled such that it has a slight upwards slope from headstock to tailstock.

Sling from an engine crane running under the bed near the headstock and just tight enough to prevent tipping.

Crank the comealong at the tailstock end while letting out the brake on the headstock comealong.

Keep going until it's in position in my garage.

Relax and have some pizza.

This all sounds too simple to me, so if anyone can clue me in on what I'm not thinking about, what I should watch out for, etc please let me know!

Thanks;

J

You'll like it, I have a 17"x60" Leblond. I think the sng axle will be fine. A tilt trailer makes unloading easier without a forklift, Have fun with it!
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

Comment

Might I suggest using the crane to lift it enough to clear the trailer then pulling the trailer out of the way? Unloaded my Darsin (1200# or so) this way using a front end loader on a tractor, kept me from having to deal with the difference in height from trailer bed to floor, and the resulting angle. Makes it hard to use rollers......

Just my .02

Comment

I tie my grizzly to the back wall and drove out of the shop. Well that is how I one side on the floor, pull forward until one end was on the floor. The other was done by putting wood up under it until I could pull the rest of the way.

To move it, I used a pallet jack with cribing up under the bed.

it a 14 X 48 and a one axle got it home over a 1000 miles.

Comment

The way I moved my 3200lb Cadillac lathes is similar. I used an engine hoist (was slightly overloaded...LOL) and had the lathe on the trailer with the headstock towards the back of the trailer. Bad for tongue weight, good for unloading. I picked the headstock end up with the hoist from behind the trailer, then use a a ratcheting tie strap slung from one side of the back of the trailer around the tailstock end and then back to the other side of the back of the trailer to scoot the lathe about 3/4 of the way off the trailer. Then I set the headstock end down on a stack of 4x4s, reposition the hoist, pick up the tailstock end and pull the trailer out.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips folks. I certainly plan to enjoy it! Just need to re-motor it before I can play. Stinkin' power company won't install 3 phase in residences. ;-)

Comment

Use a GOOD quality RPC if you have several 3phase machines or a VFD if you only have the lathe.
              "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
              world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
              country, in easy stages."
              ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by achtanelion View Post
                Thanks for all the tips folks. I certainly plan to enjoy it! Just need to re-motor it before I can play. Stinkin' power company won't install 3 phase in residences. ;-)
                Might want to read up on RPC(s) and VFD(s). Re-powering it isn't necessary or even recommended. Most home or light commercial shops don't three phase power available, but many of us have three phase equipment.

Comment

I'm actually planning on using a VFD and 3 phase motor. The current motor's a 5HP 600V monster, so it'll have to go anyways. I'm wanting to go to 2HP, 240V so the conversion's easy, adn there are plenty or reasonably priced VFDs in that range.

J

Comment

The single addition to your equipment I'd recommend is a load leveler when you lift it with the engine hoist.

Comment

Had a 13" Regal.
                      Moved it twice.
                      Always removed the tailstock, and the leadscrew (s) bracket and then took the carriage off....in pieces.
                      Made it a lot easier.
                      Be very careful of a single axis trailer tipping when the load is on the end of the trailer.
                      You don't want it pitched off.

Comment

Originally posted by achtanelion View Post
                        Hello everyone;

It seems like tonight I become the proud new owner of a Leblond Regal 13" lathe. The roundhead 46-late 50's model on cast iron legs, not a cabinet. It needs to be moved right away, and I'd like to avoid the expense of professional riggers. The travel distance is about 7Km. I'm guessing at a weight of 1700Lbs. My plan for moving it is:

Get a uhaul trailer towed by a sierra 1500. Would I be OK with the 5X9 single axle, or should I use the 6x12 tandem axle? How much use is the ramp likely to be?

It will be loaded at the purchase site by a forklift. Unloading will be where it get interesting.

My current plan is to have some boards bolted to the feet, to run pipe rollers under.

The headstock will be at the front of the trailer, with either a comealong that has a brake or a chainfall attached to it.

The tailstock end will have another comealong attached.

The trailer will be leveled such that it has a slight upwards slope from headstock to tailstock.

Sling from an engine crane running under the bed near the headstock and just tight enough to prevent tipping.

Crank the comealong at the tailstock end while letting out the brake on the headstock comealong.

Keep going until it's in position in my garage.

Relax and have some pizza.

This all sounds too simple to me, so if anyone can clue me in on what I'm not thinking about, what I should watch out for, etc please let me know!

Thanks;

J
                        I have a 13" Regal. It's a great lathe. Swings close to 15". I don't think it weighs anywhere near 1700. I'm guessing, but I think about 1200 would probably be generous. Of course with that huge motor on it, it would be heavier than mine. Be careful until you get it safely on the floor. You're going to enjoy it.

Chuck

Comment

Well, after all my fretting and second guessing, unloading turned out quicker and easier than loading. The seller put some 2x4s under the legs with cross members and loaded it with a big forklift at the purchase site. Once it was home, we dropped the ramp of the trailer, skidded it gently forwards on the icy trailer deck until the tailstock end was on the ground, and slowly pulled the trailer out from underneath it. Didn't get any of the rigging gear into play except the ratchet straps to tie it to the trailer.

This is my upgrade from a mostly clapped out atlas 618. I'm so looking forward to getting it in its workspace and making some chips!

Thanks everybody.

J

Comment

Congrats on the safe move! Always a little pucker factor till everything is put to bed where it belongs.

doug

Comment

I haven't put it under power yet, and I'm already enjoying it. I spent the day at work excited as a squirrel on meth. I think my favorite comment of the evening came from my 9 year old. Zoo as he saw it he said "You're right dad! I could lay down on the bed! Can I? Huh? Can I?"

It came with 3 jaw cushman and 4 jaw chucks, steady, micrometer carriage stop and taper attachment. I'm fairly certain the tailstock weighs about the same as my whole atlas 618.

I'll post a proper gloat later when I feel like screwing around with photobucket.

J

Comment

Working...
                              X