Work Head Alignment on T & C Grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Head Alignment on T & C Grinder

I'm wondering if anyone has a better way of aligning the motorized work head on a T & C grinder. The flat along the back of the spindle housing is supposed to be true to the work head spindle. So I indicate along the flat and I'm good to .0004 from one end to the other. One would assume the spindle is now perfectly in line with the table travel.

I want to finish up the 5C adapter plate you see mounted in the work head. The adapter plate is for the mounting of the chuck that is sitting on the table. I roughed out the plate on the lathe and want to finish up the inner step to fit in the back of the chuck as accuratly as I can so I figured it would be best to grind it in on the machine that it will be used on. I don't want the chuck to run eccentric. But what I've found is when I indicate the step in the flange from front to back it's not perfectly perpendicular to the spindle, If I mount the chuck against it I have a feeling it's going to wobble a little. I'm thinking I should just touch the face of the adapter plate as well as finish up the center. Any thoughts????

JL.........................

Yes you are correct . Grind both surfaces at the same setting and all should be good. That is the way the prows do it.
    Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
    http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
    http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

If it were me I'd be using a dressed "saucer" wheel.

Comment

I have no intelligent answer to your question but I must say those are some beautiful pictures! Drool, drool, DROOL!: Sigh, one of these days.
        Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

If the work-piece flange face that you are to grind is slightly concave (ie not "flat") it won't matter.

If it were me and if I was really fussy about "concentricity" I'd internally grind the C5 taper that your collets will bear on - it should only need a :lick" ie a "clean-up".

Comment

For the OP:

please post pics of the T&C grinder from a bit further back so that I/we can see more detail.

I presume that the work-head spindle is motor-driven as well.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie View Post
              If the work-piece flange face that you are to grind is slightly concave (ie not "flat") it won't matter.

If it were me and if I was really fussy about "concentricity" I'd internally grind the C5 taper that your collets will bear on - it should only need a :lick" ie a "clean-up".
              There is nothing wrong with the work head 5C holder, it has about .00001 or less of run out, my main question was I don't believe that the work head spindle is in perfect alignment with the table travel. It's very difficult to get it dead true even by indicating the flat along it's housing. If I were grinding lengthwise down a shaft I could zero the work head in by measuring each end of the shaft, if it was cutting slight a taper I could nudge the workhead till it was perfect, but with the adapter plate flange I don't have that option. I think the best I can do is indicate the workhead as accuratly as I can and just touch the flange face and then it has to be square.
              Yes the work head is motor driven.

JL.................

Comment

If I was to be real particular. I would align the work head off of a precision mandrel ,mounted in the work head spindle taper before mounting the work to be ground and adjust the table to be true to the work head center line.Then mount the work and grind the flange first the the bore. That is the way i was tough.And have had good luck doing . hope this may help.
                Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

I don't have a precision mandre to fit the work heads B&S #11 taper but I do have a face plate for that workhead that has a removable taper and the face is ground. Perhaps I could put that in the spindle and traverse the saddle in and out and see if that ground flange is square. That will give ma an idea of where I'm at and what is going on. Thanks....

I think I'm going to have to change the angle of my relief cut too before I grind the flange face.

JL................
                  Last edited by JoeLee; 11-15-2012, 11:52 PM.

Comment

I have the Chevelier knockoff of that grinder....on it the motorized workhead is big enough that a 5C adapter fits. This imo is a far better way to go than a collet chuck if the ID of yours is large enough for an adapter

As for aligning it, the knockoff missed including that register surface, too bad for me. I ground a bar as long as the machine could take to a tenth but adjusting the top swivel table. Put this between centres and adjust the work head until an indicator (on the front side of the swivel table) zeros along its length. Those extendable cylinders in a surface gauge are made for that and both table fronts have been scraped to perfection on mine.

Then adjust the swivel table by zero the indicator with it against the main table.

In use, I check and if necessary I fine tune the swivel table until my work is dead on end to end. I also added a tenths indicator registering on the saddle so I can get very accurate infeeds

imo you will have to add flood coolant to have success cylindrical grinding
                    Last edited by Mcgyver; 11-16-2012, 12:00 AM.

Comment

I hve an ER-32 adaptor similarly mounted on my lathe when necessary.

I allow about 0.002">0.004" "slop" (clearance) between the location bore in the collet adaptor and the locating spigot on the lathe spindle flange.

I use it as "tap-true" to minimise indicated run-out due to any collet concentricity "errors".

Works fine with most collets when set but it is easy to re-set if needed.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...AirSmith03.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...AirSmith06.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...rSmith01-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                        I have the Chevelier knockoff of that grinder....on it the motorized workhead is big enough that a 5C adapter fits. This imo is a far better way to go than a collet chuck if the ID of yours is large enough for an adapter

As for aligning it, the knockoff missed including that register surface, too bad for me. I ground a bar as long as the machine could take to a tenth but adjusting the top swivel table. Put this between centres and adjust the work head until an indicator (on the front side of the swivel table) zeros along its length. Those extendable cylinders in a surface gauge are made for that and both table fronts have been scraped to perfection on mine.

Then adjust the swivel table by zero the indicator with it against the main table.

In use, I check and if necessary I fine tune the swivel table until my work is dead on end to end. I also added a tenths indicator registering on the saddle so I can get very accurate infeeds

imo you will have to add flood coolant to have success cylindrical grinding
                        The work head does have a 5C adapter in it. The spindle is a B&S #11. The runout of the spindle is less than .00001 as is the 5C adapter but I had to rotate the adapter to find the position withe the least amoount of error. I marked it with red ink so if I take the adapter out I'll know where to position it for repeat accuracy. The chuck that will go on the 5C adapter plate is just a 3 jaw scroll but I want it to run as true as possible.

JL......................

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                          The work head does have a 5C adapter in it. The spindle is a B&S #11. The runout of the spindle is less than .00001 as is the 5C adapter but I had to rotate the adapter to find the position withe the least amoount of error. I marked it with red ink .

JL......................
                          I'm usually against the folks who say "I ain't makin stuff for NASA"* and are happy with 0.002" to 0.005" errors, but in this case, I can happily admuit that I have nothing that would tell me I had concentricity errors of 0.00001, let alone "less than 0.00001"", and will also admit that I don't give a rats hinderpart if it's 0.00001 or 0.00002 error!

It's fine if you do..... I'm not complaining..... and there have been times when I could have used that capability, but not recently.

* I guess that statement was from back when NASA still existed........

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                            The chuck that will go on the 5C adapter plate is just a 3 jaw scroll but I want it to run as true as possible.
                            I'm with you now, I mistook 5c adapter and chuck as you were fitting a 5c collet chuck.

The grinder sure looks great

Comment

Odd that.

My T&C grinder has a flange with a spigot and holes to match a small chuck backing plate like a lathe - I have 2 80mm chucks and a face-plate that fit the flange on my work-head. I made the adaptor plates with about 0.003" "slop" (clearance) to use as a "tap-true" arrangement as required. My work head has an MT4 taper/bore and I have a 4MT/5C adaptor for it.

I often fit the "John Stevenson" 5C/ER-32 adaptor as it is metric and each collet has an accuracy gripping range of 1mm (~0.040") which covers a range of 2mm>20mm.

Comment

Working...
                              X