Machinist Art in Flint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machinist Art in Flint

Those of you near, visiting or passing through Flint Michigan in the next three weeks might want to pay a visit to the Flint Institute of Arts.

http://www.flintarts.org/exhibitions...t_exspace.html

They are exhibiting some of the works of Michael Dunbar, a sculptor who works in machined and welded metal objects.

In the next 3 weeks, examples of Dunbar's Machinist's Studies will be on exhibit. These are the (relatively) small models that he machines from solid to develop the concepts for his larger outdoor works, which are welded bronze or steel. The FIA will be exhibiting some of the larger works through next Summer.

The machining and fitting and surface finish of the machined pieces, with a multitude of compound angles and shapes is superb and inspiring.

(As an aside, my own considerably less significant work is beginning to appear in the Institute in the form of display mounts for some of the oblects in other areas.)
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Is there only one image shown on the FIOA website or is there some step I have neglected
    that will enable me to navigate to more images of the display?

Does Mr Dunbar partner with industry to cast and machine the components for his models
    and installations or does he have the means to do this entirely in-house ?

Congratulations on your success at having your own contributions integrated with the exhibits.
    Display mounts are essential and in addition to being functional, they ought to complement
    the piece without stealing attention. Often overlooked by the public, but art in their own right.

Comment

Great site, thanks for posting this.

There was a Michael Dunbar a few years back that built some beautifull wooden chairs, probably not the same guy?

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post
        Is there only one image shown on the FIOA website or is there some step I have neglected
        that will enable me to navigate to more images of the display?

Does Mr Dunbar partner with industry to cast and machine the components for his models
        and installations or does he have the means to do this entirely in-house ?

Congratulations on your success at having your own contributions integrated with the exhibits.
        Display mounts are essential and in addition to being functional, they ought to complement
        the piece without stealing attention. Often overlooked by the public, but art in their own right.
        Yes, there is only the one image on the FIA website. If you Google Michael Dunbar you will find him.

His smaller study pieces are machined from solid, which is still pretty big raw material for some details. The larger outdoor pieces are fabricated weldments - but they don't look like it.

I don't know if he farms out the fabrication, but I hope to talk with him about that. He will be at the FIA on Dec. 7 to meet with the public.

My work, building display mounts happened as a fluke. I took two of my granddaughters to visit the FIA one Sunday afternoon, my first visit in maybe 20 years. I was commenting on some of the artworks and I think I remarked that "I could do that." I was apparently overheard by the facilities manager who happened to be there, unusual for a Sunday. He struck up a conversation with me and asked what I did for a living. After mentioning my day job, I went on to describe my HSM activities. He asked if I would be interested in building some display mounts, as they had an immediate need. A meeting with him and the Director of the Institute was scheduled for a few days later and I got a order for a batch of display mounts for some glass paperweights. I am now, as time permits, doing other display bases - replacements of existing bases and for new objects. I well understand the need to not draw attention to the mounts, but have also been encouraged to add a small measure of artistic embellishment of my own. I will put up a couple of photos later.

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye View Post
          ..... I will put up a couple of photos later.
          Uh, no. Seems that some genius "improved" Photobucket to the point that it is buggered.

Comment

Working...
          X