Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• darryl
    replied
    I have made my own flat belts, but fairly small ones. I machined a form on the lathe, filled the groove with tool handle coat, ground it smooth, added a fresh layer of the compound, wound on some cord, smoothed it over, added more compound and smoothed that over. When it was cured, I ground it again- enough to smooth but not get into the cord.The form was in two halves so it could come apart to release the belt. Worked pretty well actually. Some other belts were made by first laying a layer of rubber into the groove- I think what I used was tire patch material that came on a roll. I believe there's a sensitized side on that, and it works well with goop or shoe-goo. For cord I've used what used to be called 1/2A flying line, which was dacron, and also dental floss.

The belts I made were all around 6-8 inches in total length, but on my lathe I could have made one up to about 24 inches long.

I have not made one using leather, but there's no reason why you couldn't first stick one together, then give that the goop and cord treatment. Not only will that add strength, it will also keep the join from ever coming apart. I don't know if the leather belts were butt-joined before stapling, but there's no reason why you couldn't use a tapered splice instead. If you did add the goop and cord backing, that would let the leather act as one loop of strength also, without the weak spot at the join.

I suppose at the same time you can splice together any number of lengths of leather belt to make your final belt as long as it needs to be- otherwise you'd have to look for a particularly long cow
    Last edited by darryl; 11-17-2012, 08:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• justanengineer
    replied
    Some folks have success with more modern "link belts," glued serpentine belts, and other methods, but frankly I prefer to keep old machines looking mostly period correct and by this I mean - I LOVE GENUINE LEATHER FLATBELTS! You can buy flat belting of various lengths and widths from TSC, Rural King, and other "country" stores around these parts. Not sure where youre located, but I would seriously consider that an option. Flatbelts are "laced" together using several laces that are similar to big steel staples, but this requires a lacing tool to crimp them. Google or search on youtube for "belt lacing" and you will probably find quite a bit to read/watch/learn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRvpi_umpro
    Here's one for example.

Leave a comment:

• oldjim
    started a topic Flat lathe belts

Flat lathe belts

I have rebuilt a SB Heavy 16. The old belt was missing. I have tried cutting , skiving, wrapping and super gluing an automotive serpentine belt. The first try didn't hold very long. The second try is now running but I have little confidence that it will survive the first hard job. I see ads for replacement belts in HSM. Has anyone tried one. I am not totally clear on how the ends are fastened together. Do any of you guys have any experience with this?
    Thanks Jim
Working...
X