Brown & Sharpe 6 x 12 Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown & Sharpe 6 x 12 Table

I took the magnetic chuck off of the B&S 6x12 because it was not parallel to the movement of the wheel in the Y axis. After cleaning it up and putting a 6x6 plate on to check with an indicator I had to shim the back side of the plate about 18 thou to get it level. Makes me think something is not right on the X axis to tilt the table like this. Any ideas?

Thanks
    John
    My Web Site

Worn out ways? Ham-fisted top grinding?

Take the table off, indicate the ways. If they are decent grind the table in place.

Comment

Just looking through the parts manual and I see where at least once someone ordered the rollers for the X axis... I guess it is time to investigate a bit further into the beast. I can't tell from looking if someone ground the top of the X slide or not. They are higher than the clamp area which still has tool marks from the making of the slide. Everything seems to be in very good condition which makes me wonder...

John
      My Web Site

Comment

18 thou? wow. seems almost impossible that that's wear....especially on a machine that you say is in fairly good shape

Are you sure about the axis? In the pic you posted with the indicator you can test Z and X in that set up but not Y......Z is table toward/away from you and X is table left to right.....did you mean Z?

if you meant Z, my Norton has hardened steel strips, quite thin, that the rollers roll on. Idea is you never wear the machine out, just the rollers and strips. If rollers were replaced I wonder if someone either left out one of the strips (if this machine has that arrangement) or installed one of the wrong gauge.....that could tilt the table along the Z.....I'd start by lifting the table off and seeing whats there

Comment

Replace the balls under the table - but find the right size first.

Bu7t other than that, if the grinder grinds flat, shim the table and take a shim/witness cut to the table. It should be OK them.

Comment

Working...
          X