Small 110v motor speed control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small 110v motor speed control

I salvaged the motor/gear reduction parts out of an old paper shredder and built a power feed for my RF mill. It's going to work perfectly for the minimal use it will see, but I'd still like to control the speed a bit. I'm not looking for super fine resolution, just a few different speed options.

Keeping with the uber-small budget theme, what is the simplest and cheapest way to do this?

Usually any trips I take to the land of Alternating Current end with a light/smoke show.

Thanks.

What type of motor is it? Does it have brushes?

Comment

Yes, its brushed.

Comment

Looks like a 110V motor to me. The cheaper shredders usually have 12VDC motors and these will have brushes. It is more difficult to regulate speed on an AC motor. Bob.

Comment

Yep, brushed ac motor.

Comment

It looks like a fairly small motor? Try a lamp dimmer and see if that will do the job for you.

Comment

120v Universal (AC/DC) motor, it relies on those gears to regulate the RPM, it will really take off if you run it unloaded.
              Without a type of control that utilize a feedback from the motor it is very difficult to regulate the speed with varying load.
              Max.

Comment

Never bothered to measure it...probably 3" long. 4" at the most. The shredder advertised a load rating of 1a.

Right now its running the table about 12" a minute.
                Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 11-18-2012, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxHeadRoom View Post
                  120v Universal (AC/DC) motor, it relies on those gears to regulate the RPM, it will really take off if you run it unloaded.
                  Without a type of control that utilize a feedback from the motor it is very difficult to regulate the speed with varying load.
                  Max.
                  I'm using the whole thing...motor and gear reduction. The only control it had (and still has) was an on/off/reverse switch and a safety switch.

Comment

You can use something like this.
                    Ebay 390499946613
                    Max

Comment

A router speed control should work fine.
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                        A router speed control should work fine.
                        I had that thought as well.

Or from a blender maybe? I've always wanted to puree aluminum.

Comment

Working...
                        X