Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roughing/Finishing End Mill

Hi Guys,

The recent thread about roughing end mills got me to thinking about an end mill that I got recently but not tried yet. It is a Weldon KPA-24-5 crest cut. 3/4 inch diameter, 4 flute, M42 HSS, cutter that it is designed to rough and finish at the same time.

The one that I have is kind of dull but I tried it and it seemed to work fine, no long stringy chips when side cutting. A friend of mine that owns a fairly large cnc shop showed me a similar cutter a couple of years ago and told me that they are fairly expensive at about $50+ each but he said he made enough extra in productivity to pay for the cost and still come out ahead. I think the ones he was using were carbide and he was flying through some CRS at a pretty good clip, better than 1/2" DOC. Very impressive.

Here is the one that I have and a test cut. The first half of the cut was dry and the second half with coolant. And like I said, it was kind of dull.

Has anyone else used these and if so, what was your opinion of them.

Thanks,
    Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

They work OK, not as well as the corn cob style. I have never had one that left a finish good enough to call finished. If I'm using a roughing cutter I plan on following it with a finish cutter. There are other rough/ finish cutters that give a better finish. One kind is like a regular endmill with chipbreakers every so often on each cutting edge. Those usually leave horizontal lines. Another kind has rough and finish flutes alternating on the same end mill. I have not used that kind yet, but it should (theoretically) give a good finish.

Comment

Finish off with a fine (0.005") "climb" cut as a lot of the "marking/scouring" is from chips pulled back into the cutter with normal cutting.

Comment

Roughing cutters CAN give a good surface finish - on the bottom, but not really the sides.
        I think if you have good chip clearing capabilities, you don't really need a roughing cutter.
        My understanding is that they aren't as popular anymore in the CNC world. It is things like coatings that drive productivity gains.

Comment

Working...
        X