Flood coolant manifolds for the HSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flood coolant manifolds for the HSM

At times I would like to have a boring bar set up with through the bar flood coolant.
    I would also like to switch to a set up like this (Posted on PM by Rod Henrickson)

Well the photo got cropped a little to much but this holder is on a flexable line.

My current configuration is here:

So show me your way of doing something like this.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Not sure what your problem is. Get a magnet with a stud or threaded hole. Get a brass L fitting and drill a hole in it: thread that hole with threads matching the stud or hole in the magnet. Connect the two with a generous application of epoxy. Connect coolant supply line to horizontal end of the L. Connect the flexible hose to the vertical end of the L (with a control valve if desired). Done.

Or some of the above can be purchased as ready to use parts.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

In our shop we use female/male quick disconnect couplings meant for pressurised air in the coolant lines, makes changing things easy. On a lathe the pump line ends with a female coupling, so it won't spray over everything if it is disconnected. All the boring bars and such are equipped with a 1/4" quick disconnect male coupling and we have a magnetic base also with one.
      Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Probably a stupid question but

When running coolant thru a boring bar do you plug the left end of the headstock tube?
        I think that I like the quick connects better than a manifold.
        Byron Boucher
        Burnet, TX

Comment

We take a piece of one inch square tube 1/8 wall and weld closed both ends. The drill and tap for as many pipe fittings as you need. Weld on angle iron feet. This works for air too.

Comment

You can do the same thing with an appropriate size of aluminum square bar stock. Drill a hole lengthways tap it for your feed line and cross drill and tap for your coolant lines.
            I always tap and plug a couple of extra holes in case the customer wants to expand.

Comment

Originally posted by Boucher View Post
              When running coolant thru a boring bar do you plug the left end of the headstock tube?
              I think that I like the quick connects better than a manifold.
              Nope, the centrifugal forces don't let the coolant in the tube because of the headstocks inside taper, unless the spindle RPM is really low and/or the coolant flow very excessive. Sometimes I've had to put a rag inside the bore to prevent coolant runoff.
              Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Hmmm. I misread the first part.

Comment

Working...
                X