Punkin Chunkin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punkin Chunkin

Not OT as it involves lots of metal working.

Anyways Punkin Chunkin will air on Thursday Nov 22nd (US Thanksgiving Day) with "The Road to" beginning at 6:30 Central time.

Originally posted by Dr Stan View Post
    Not OT as it involves lots of metal working.

Anyways Punkin Chunkin will air on Thursday Nov 22nd (US Thanksgiving Day) with "The Road to" beginning at 6:30 Central time.
    I think the world is ready for a punkin chunkin maglev rail gun. The Higgs boson equivalent for the home shop guy.

Comment

In the year 2024, muzzle velocities will be such that it will be necessary to inject water into the pumpkins so they may be frozen solid before launching.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ennis View Post
        In the year 2024, muzzle velocities will be such that it will be necessary to inject water into the pumpkins so they may be frozen solid before launching.
        I was thinking GMO ones that generate a pith that is a plastic epoxy!

Comment

My niece and her husband went out to Pennsylvania? to watch the chunkin. She posted a picture of a burning car but not a thing about chunkin.

Brian
          OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

It's in Delaware. I went a couple years back and there's some amusing stuff to see, but mostly of the watching all the drunk people variety. Couldn't get within 100 feet of the machines.

Comment

Rules says you can't frezze them Punks. Now the plastic epoxy??

Comment

Nope. No freezing, no filling them, no wadding, no sabot-tizing. Only thing allowed downrange is the pumpkin. Makes the air cannonsan interesting problem, as you need to carefully control the air release so you don't blow out the center. IMO it's an inherently flawed design because of this and if someone dropped the $6-figure money (no joke... The top tier are all sponsored and well into $6 figures) on a hybrid trebuchet design (to take advantage if the sling/net allowing much higher impulse) they'd blow the doors off the air cannons. But the big dollar teems seem to have gravitated to the cannons rather than work outside the box, leaving the interesting stuff in the cash-poor DIY tiers.

Comment

Forgot to include that its on the Science Channel. Here's the promo video

http://science.discovery.com/tv-shows/punkin-chunkin

Comment

Think Gerald Bull super gun
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                      Think Gerald Bull super gun
                      But then they'd have to kill you...

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ennis View Post
                        The contest will have evolved to the point where achieving suborbital flight will be an entrance requirement.

Comment

Cannon fired/powered trebuchet?
                          Andy

Comment

First we get the pumpkin itself to grow in the shape of long range artillery shell. Is it against the rules to grow your own pmpkins in forms? Plus it needs extra thick skin and flesh that produce one seed and one seed only
                            Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Paint a coconut orange.
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X