X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: steam generation with nano-particles

Parlor trick or useful technology?

http://spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/g...ed-electricity

You can see at 1:23 the water is just boiling. They are using the buzzword nano particles to get funding, but they probably would have a better system by just making the water container black with an absorbing surface geometry.
    But nobody's going to give you millions for that now, are they :-)
    Anyway, kudos to them for monetising bull****, I wish I was that clever.....

Igor

Comment

Funny, they still seem to need lenses to really focus the beam to a 10 by 10 mm area to et it boiling...ah yes, have seen that happen in every solar cooking video so far...
      Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

UH! Just what is the definition of "steam" as opposed to "water vapor" ?
        ...lew...

Comment

I saw this and I wasn't impressed either. It was poorly explained, but I think the idea is to immerse the black nano particles of carbon in the water, and heat them, given that they are extremely black and very small they get hot very quickly and the fact that they are in intimate contact with the water gives some efficiency gains. Watch and marvel whilst this amazing nano breakthrough dissapears without trace.

Comment

Isn't that just a difference in the way solar energy is absorbed by the water? One way is to heat the container, which transfers the concentrated energy into the water- the other way is to have the water full of energy absorbers, which transfer the energy into the water. Kind of like having black water flowing through channels in clear corrugated plastic sheet, which is exposed to the sun.

Of course, in the latter example you get heated water, not boiling water, but it's all about getting to transfer some of the energy in sunlight into some useful form.

In the case of generating steam, what happens to the steam after it's generated- it immediately begins to give up its heat to the surroundings, the container, piping, etc. Maybe there would be a gain in efficiency if you could use the steam right at the point of generation so that heat losses in the structure would be less.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
            X