X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EddyCurr
    • May 2009

Tip of the Hat - Luana Dueweke, et al

The cover of the Nov/Dec issue of Home Shop Machinist keeps catching my eye.

I know that this is primarily because the colours evoke memories of the distinctive
    livery applied to motorsports teams assembled by John Wyer and John Horsman
    with support from Grady Davis.

More than that, though, the Nov/Dec cover is another in a continuing series of
    designs with well chosen images, appealing colour, attention-getting captions and
    complimentary type setting.

From the mast head, I see that Luana Dueweke is credited for Graphic Design. To
    Ms. Dueweke and team, I extend hearty congratulations.

Your design layouts compliment & enhance the work of the publication's contributors
    & editors, making each issue that much more enjoyable for me.
  • George Bulliss
    Administrator
    • Jan 2008

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this; I know Lu will appreciate seeing it. Luana has been the designer of HSM since the second issue (she worked on the first) and certainly has perfected things in that time. Being new to the magazine business, I was very fortunate to have Lu around when I started. Like the toolmakers I apprenticed under, she can make the difficult stuff look so easy…
    George
    Traverse City, MI

Comment

• oil mac
      • Jun 2007

This posting has evoked memories within "My one solitary brain cell"from away back, By this i mean the mid 1950/s period, In the U.K. we were still in many ways just recovering from Herr Hitlers nasty little war, & then to crown all Uncle joe Stalin, was threatening to nuke the Uk & we were threatening to send similar unsolicited gifts of plutonium type materials over to the Warsaw pact nations, Free gratis!
      To add to things being a bit less grim rationing had just ceased some years earlier & at one stage my big sister had been employed in a grocers shop in a less than salubrious industrial town, where the modus_operandi in handling the ration books brought in by some of the" Local Ladies",( Who were frequently wont to plunk their manky dirty ,s****Y kids down on my sisters lovely clean marble counters) was by a pair of disinfected scissors used to cut out the relevant filthy coupon , before placing said instrument , back into a jam jar full of strong disinfectant.

As a kid on the one occasion, I visited the town & the shop to see my big sister, I thought that maybe she should have been disinfecting the locals as well, However, This was in marked contrast to the lovely clean house kept by mom, It is easy to go into a a Rosy , rose tinted memory of the good old days , This was not always so, especially when one managed a peek at some real urban slums, Although, Not everyone kept themselves in such dire conditions, Many years later, my employment for a time was to take me into similar places, where the exception proved the rule, When most of the folk opened the door of their humble abode, And, one found oneself entering a veritable little palace, spotless to a fault, &run by a typical little careworn housewife operating on a shoe-string budget,

However back to the mid nineteen fifties, when things were improving, &folks were beginning to get more afluent, (Lets now leave the urban sanitation & health behind us) & move forward, Yours truly left schoolin 1954 & like any other teenager had hopes & dreams, One of the magazines i used to read , was the Eagle comic, nicely printed in colour, with a centre spread of technical information a kid could follow, All of it very well illustrated so well in fact, That i believe subject to the printing of one cut away illustrated data on a fighter plane the editor was pulled up for almost breaching the official secrets act This comic was really well produced
      But back to Eddies posting re_ Nov/Dec issue of home Shop Machinist, In the 1954/ish era, one of the American soldiers at the local base used to read Practical Machinist,Then pass them on to our local model shop, & then passed to me, These very finely printed magazines (printed on lovely glossy paper) for some strange reason, our man always kept them for me, Over the next few years they were no doubt dispatched in the waste paper & I forgot what the name of these magazines were until somebody a few years ago prompted me
      sufficient to say, I wish i still had a few of them just to look once again, at the very fine adverts especially for The South Bend Lathe Co illustrations Does anyone still have one or more of these magazines from that era Maybe they would like to put one of the adverts in one of the postings
      Thanks Eddie for prompting my thoughts to go back down memory lane from an era which seemed like another world.

Now back out to the workshop to lurk!

Comment

Working...
      X