X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bgmnn1
    • Dec 2007

Redirected to Amazon

I am being redirected to Amazon when clicking on different fields in this forum.
    No rhyme or reason, even when scrolling the entire screen goes green and i am at Amazon.
    I am using HTC Desire.
    Anyone else with this issue?
  • danlb
    • Nov 2008

That sounds like you've been hit by a trojan. I don't know how to address it. I run AVG on my android phones to help detect bad software, but I'm not sure that will help you now.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• lazlo
      • Jun 2006

He's talking about a smartphone Dan -- a Trojan would be exceedingly rare. Sounds like a basic Javascript browser hijack, which usually can be cured by uninstalling and re-installing the browser.

OP: Have you tried using Dolphin instead of the Android browser?
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• George Bulliss
        Administrator
        • Jan 2008

An amazon ad was placed above the left banner ad this afternoon. It was tested, but obviously not with all combinations of browsers, etc. I'll pass your comments on to IT in the morning.
        George
        Traverse City, MI

Comment

• danlb
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by lazlo View Post
          He's talking about a smartphone Dan -- a Trojan would be exceedingly rare. Sounds like a basic Javascript browser hijack, which usually can be cured by uninstalling and re-installing the browser.
          Smartphones are subject to viruses and trojans too. People grow complacent about allowing all sorts of privileges to the most banal of apps, and the trojans take advantage of that.

Thanks George, for identifying the problem so quickly. Looks like it is not a cell phone problem this time.

Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• Bgmnn1
            • Dec 2007

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Comment

• demerrill
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by George Bulliss View Post
              An amazon ad was placed above the left banner ad this afternoon. It was tested, but obviously not with all combinations of browsers, etc. I'll pass your comments on to IT in the morning.
              Today I found that single left-clicking my 'back arrow icon' wasn't working (no effect) and right-clicking it showed an Amazon-containing URL (http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=homshomacf) as the next lower entry in the list. I'm using IE 9.0.11 browser in Windows 7/64.

David Merrill

Comment

• Zero_Divide
                • Oct 2012

I get the same problem on my HTC One. For some reason the hyperlink area seems to expand to the size of the whole screen it seems. So no matter where you click you go to amazon
                FSWizard - Free Online Speed and Feed Calculator

Comment

• lakeside53
                  • Nov 2007

Sound like a good reason to block all ads!

Comment

• George Bulliss
                    Administrator
                    • Jan 2008

We’ll have to do some more testing with viewing over a phone. So far, IT has not come up with any smoking gun. In the meantime, you may want to view the site via the “mobile default” view, found in the menu box at the lower left hand corner of the page.
                    To return to the normal default view after using mobile, go to the very bottom of the page and select “full site.”

I don’t know why you would be having problems viewing with IE, but we’re looking into that as well. You may try clearing your history and cookies and see if that helps.
                    George
                    Traverse City, MI

Comment

• Evan
                      • May 2003

George,

Suggest to IT that they use a strictly defined pixel size for the ad clickable area instead of a percentage.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• George Bulliss
                        Administrator
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                        George,

Suggest to IT that they use a strictly defined pixel size for the ad clickable area instead of a percentage.
                        Will do, thanks.
                        George
                        Traverse City, MI

Comment

• lazlo
                          • Jun 2006

I'm posting this from my Nexus 7 tablet on the Android/Chrome browser. It's a screen-size/ad size problem: The Amazon ad is at the top of an HTML frame. The frame is persistent as you pan around the web page (i.e., a Javascript bug). I'm guessing that on a smart phone, the Amazon banner frame takes up the whole screen, so a click anywhere re-directs you to Amazon.

Here's the initial page, which is correct:

...and here's what it looks like when you pan to the middle of the screen, which is not correct:

Last edited by lazlo; 11-28-2012, 03:13 PM.
                          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• Evan
                            • May 2003

Restricting the clickable area to a defined pixel zone will temporarily fix it while they look for a better solution. It will make the clickable area vary depending on screen resolution but it is better than the entire screen. It is easy to implement as a temporary work-around because of the location of the ad.

The problem is made much worse due to the very high resolution so called "retina display". Web pages are now being displayed on a huge range of resolutions depending on what device is used to view them. That makes it much more difficult to design web pages.
                            Last edited by Evan; 11-28-2012, 03:06 PM.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• j king
                              • Apr 2003

it has been getting me also. I took battery out and cursed it and it didnt fix it. Hope they get this fixed. I cant click on anything without being sent to amazon.

Comment

Working...
                              X