Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know what this gizmo is?

Hi Everyone,

This tool/fixture/inspection device has been in my family for at least 45+ years. I remember when my dad bought it from a person that used to find & sell used tools that he would pick up from all over Milwaukee, WI.

The box measures 11.5” wide X 12.5” deep (plus handle) X 7” tall. The base is cast iron & the top & vee slots are surface ground. The upright square can be rotated when you loosen the top nut & a pointer follows it reading degrees along the brass quadrant.

These views show the cast brass ‘follower’ for the upright square with an arm that measures degree of tilt to the gray shoe with the tee shaped cross section. By pinching the spring loaded levers on the right allows the ‘follower’ to be raised or lowered.

When the tee shaped shoe is parallel to the bed, the top quadrant is at zero w/20 degrees marked off in each direction. The pin that the arm is stopped against is magnetic.

This thing had to be expensive when made ‘cuz the materials & workmanship speak quality in every detail.

I think it measured the contour of something ………… but what?
    Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

I don't know what it is, but I'll guess that it's part of a system for sharpening saw blades.

Comment

It's a Zeppelin bomb sight.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

It's stranger than friction, could even be friction itself.

It's actually extremely versatile with all the different angle adjustments and height to boot,
        Im guessing it was not just used for one specific particular type of thing, or if it was then the specifics varied some as in different models or sizes or such.

it's very interesting and I would not call it useless, could come in handy for trying to duplicate a part...

Comment

I also do not know.
          My WAG - a quality test device for propellers or turbines, military, WWll, maybe for torpedo's? They ran steam propulsion- turbine testing
          Last edited by Abner; 11-28-2012, 09:28 AM.

Comment

It's a grostling iron...

George

Comment

My guess is pretty much the same as Abner: Quality control device. Not saying it was used for 123 blocks but picture it as set up with a reference block, you could then check any subsequent block quickly. As it looks that the larger angle curve is 0-90 both ways, it seems that if the central pillar were set so that indicator was at 0 (rotate it 90 degrees from as pictured and attach the vertical on the next side over) you could easily check angle blocks as well. Or any size block or angle block, so it would be a versatile QC device. Maybe not for extreme tolerance things, but still it would serve to check for consistent size, squareness, or angle with precision enough for many things.

Comment

Aw man! ............. I was just grostling last week in my Zeppelin.

If only I had known!

Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by + or - Zero View Post
                  My guess is pretty much the same as Abner: Quality control device. Not saying it was used for 123 blocks but picture it as set up with a reference block, you could then check any subsequent block quickly. As it looks that the larger angle curve is 0-90 both ways, it seems that if the central pillar were set so that indicator was at 0 (rotate it 90 degrees from as pictured and attach the vertical on the next side over) you could easily check angle blocks as well. Or any size block or angle block, so it would be a versatile QC device. Maybe not for extreme tolerance things, but still it would serve to check for consistent size, squareness, or angle with precision enough for many things.
                  + or - Zero: You have struck a chord for me 'cuz I can see just how it could be used in this way.

Abner: I also see that it could be used to plot a compound curve on the surface of a part being tested/measured - such as turbine/prop blades etc.

Thanks to all for the thoughts & keep 'em coming please.
                  Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

Comment

I think it is a Bluff oyster opener, have you ever tried to open one of those things with just a blunt table knife?

Comment

It is a thickness gauge for something that can be slid along under it. More specifically, it is used to measure variations in thickness.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

It probably measures AIRCRAFT-GRADE ALUMINUM BILLET.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                          I think it is a Bluff oyster opener, have you ever tried to open one of those things with just a blunt table knife?
                          Awww, I don't know..........I think you're bluffing!
                          Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by WCPenney View Post
                            I don't know what it is, but I'll guess that it's part of a system for sharpening saw blades.
                            Throughout my years of sharpening sawblades I never saw any such device, nor do I see what it's application would be.

The fact that it is in a sturdy carrying case implies to me that it would be used to check or calibrate something else that only requires infrequent attention. Thus someone would travel with this device and use it onsite to inspect something else.

Beyond that, I can only assume that it was used to calibrate framistats for time machines. Or perhaps ionized titanium color detectors?

Comment

Could it be used to check hypoid or spiral bevel gears? It looks like the little shoe would fit between the teeth and the readouts would give the two angles involved.

I can't imagine why the larger scale goes so far around, though.
                              Last edited by winchman; 11-28-2012, 11:36 PM.
                              Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
                              X