9" S-B that takes 5C collets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9" S-B that takes 5C collets?

haven't looked at this yet, but there is a fellow who is selling what he says is a 9" rear-drive bench S-B lathe that takes 5C collets. 30" on centers(maybe), QC, etc.
    I called him, hoping that what he really has is a heavy 10, and from what he says, he doesn't, but he has me very confused.

The heavy 10 was supposedly an outgrowth of the model "R", which I suppose this might be, but I didn't think that was a large spindle. (but then I did my research on lathes.co.uk, which isn't always reliable....)

Do 9" rear belt drive S-B and 5C collet capacity (via a separate closer) go together?

If so, what do you suppose it is?

The guy is asking 1200, which may or may not be reasonable, depending.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

The Southbend spec sheet on tooling dimensions show a spindle through hole diameter of 49/64" for the 9", and 55/64" for the 10K, both too small for a 5C collet drawbar. If it is a SBL 9", perhaps it has a 5C collet chuck mounted, kind of like this one: eBay Item number 3803715882. (No affiliation with or recommendation of the seller - just using the picture for reference.)

Comment

Maybe it's like my Logan/M-W; takes a 3-AT collet.

Comment

SB9 spindle is MT3
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

There were a few 9" Lathes with a 10" headstock on them so they could use 5c Collets. Not all 10" lathes could use 5c collets though. More common on ones exported to England I hear. Perhaps it is one of those rare ones. I have a collar for 3c collets for mine.

Comment

There is a 9" Series R with 2-1/4"-8 spindle that takes a 1" collet. Possibly it is one of these. It should be a large machine like the heavy 10, with double wall apron and other niceties. $1200 is not unreasonable given decent condition and some tooling. It might be a highly valuable collector lathe too??
            www.southbendlathes.com Go to the production dates and look at Series R.

[This message has been edited by JCHannum (edited 03-13-2004).]
            Jim H.

Comment

JC, that is obviously it. Someone else also pointed me at that.

Made for a year back in the 30's, eh?

I didn't even bother looking for the SBL site, as I "knew" that SBL was kaput dead, gone, history.

I did notice that nowhere on that site could I find any mention where they are, or who they really are.

I think I'll keep the 10" changegear Logan a while longer.

If it were a heavy 10 I would have gone to see it. But to step back to a 9" and to lose the use of almost every last scrap of my tooling, nah.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

J,

It isn't too hard to figure out that area code 574 is still in South Bend, Indiana.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I wasn't that motivated.....shouldn't need so much investigation. Plus, I could get a phone number in South Bend, and be able to answer it here in St Louis....or Calcutta.

But why are the site proprietors, whoever they are, so secretive?

Last I heard, SBL was indeed dead, finally, with parts support going to LeBlond.

I did hear of some effort to start up again, but..............

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Although South Bend is dead in the US the SB lathes were made here under licence by Boxfords who are still going abeit a few name changes. Last one I believe is Denford although they sem to call the manual lathes Boxfords and the cnc's Denfords.
                    I friend of mine has a late Boxfored out of a school that looks very modern indeed but it's not on the lathes web site.
                    Just found the web site http://www.boxford.co.uk
                    They only list one manual lathe now the 330, The rest are all CNC or CNC trainers.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

South Bend is alive and sort of kicking. They sold out a large part of their operation a year or so ago, and have reorganized. They are still making 10" lathes and some others. They are still in south Bend in the old Studebaker plant.
                      LeBlond has taken over some of the operation and production, and was handling spare parts.
                      I went to the auction, and the plant was among the dirtiest places I have been to.
                      I like their machines, but you would not believe a precision machine could come out of a plant like that.
                      Jim H.

Comment

My South Bend 9" underneath motor driven floor lathe takes 5C collets, full range of sizes. It has the 2 1/4"-8 spindle thread. Thru spindle bore of 1 3/8". Evan, are you sure that the spindle taper is #3 MT? I have the center adapters and 5C collet adapters for the lathe that I have. They are not morse taper. I inquired from South Bend when I acquired the lathe, I was told that the spindle taper is unique and propriatary to South Bend Lathe. I have to beleive them as morse taper centers (headstock only)do not fit my lathe without the adapters. (See post "Herb W a 159Z is.....). Probably on page 3 or 4 by now.
                        Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

Actually they are in a DIfferent building in South Bend now, no longer in the Studebaker plant, as they ran into trouble with taxes yada yada yda. I called them on the phone and asked them all these questions awhile back, as I was confused as well.

Comment

ER, only the 1 1/2 x 8 spindle's are MT3, yours is proprietary.

Comment

I had assumed when I was told the situation of spindle taper, that the taper was the same regardless of the size of the machine. My apologis for any confusion. Thanks for filling me in on something I did not know. Does anyone know where I can find out the history of my 159Z? The SBL website does not even mention a Z model.

[This message has been edited by ERBenoit (edited 03-14-2004).]
                              Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X