Digital Readout for the Lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldtiffie View Post
    I've never felt the need for a DRO on a/my lathe.
    You don't need one if you don't use it - simples.

However for anyone that does want to fit one, get the best you can afford in the glass scale or similar type.

Don't go down the vernier type scale or cheap route.

remember whatever it reads as an error is double on a lathe because you are feeding forward in radius but removing diameter as you are cutting both sides of the work as it rotates.

Someting that is accurate to 1 thou then turns out to be 2 thou on diameter and if you are doing say bearing housing it's just not acceptable.

I fitted one of the Shumatech units to my lathe, total waste of time, a 6" rule was as accurate, now got a Sino and no complaints.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

One other thing to look for. My lathe came with a digital that has offsets for 9 or 10 different tools. When used with a quick change toolpost holder you can go from one operation to another without measuring anything. The repeatability on mine is excellent when used with insert tooling.

Brian
      OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01 View Post
        One other thing to look for. My lathe came with a digital that has offsets for 9 or 10 different tools. When used with a quick change toolpost holder you can go from one operation to another without measuring anything. The repeatability on mine is excellent when used with insert tooling.

Brian
        The Sino has a 20 tool library but I'll be dammed if I can remember how it works.
        managed to do it once and when I tried again I spent that long doing it they'd put the clocks back.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

The most important tool to use to make a DRO work right is your Mic.
          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
            The Sino has a 20 tool library but I'll be dammed if I can remember how it works.
            managed to do it once and when I tried again I spent that long doing it they'd put the clocks back.
            Took me a few minutes to learn too.

Brian
            OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Can you post how to do it Brian please ?
              Preferably in words of one syllable

Comment

Originally posted by EVguru View Post
                I paid extra for a 1 micron cross-slide scale because I thought I might not be able to find room for it
                I ended up using a magnetic strip encoder which made for a very compact installation; http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...tic-DRO-scale?
                Wish i had the opportunity to go 1 micron two years ago, they werent available then and had the 5 micron on cross slide and tail stock with Sino on X axis.
                Same with the Sino glass, they are not repeatable and really shows when finalising a 0.75mm pitch thread that has to be slick holding 232bar back. Mountings are rock solid no flex or movement.

Its the same with the newer 11" and proper metric 1965 on 140 the dials dont match up, better off making a new one.

Comment

Working...
                X