Home made tenon cutter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made tenon cutter?

I suddenly have the need for a tenon cutter for about 10 log ends. Looking at the commercial ones I can't help but think one can be built for a few uses in a home shop. Anyone here made one? I am thinking a pipe with a flat flange welded on the end with a hss bit from the lathe strapped in somehow. I'm not to worried about perfect looking smooth cuts, this is a rough cut log bed.

Only other way I can think of putting it together is by cutting flats on each log on the ends and bolt or screw them together.

Would love to hear some advise and possibly see some pics.

A pic of the tool and what it does:

Last edited by vpt; 11-30-2012, 07:16 PM.
    Andy

No suggestions Andy, but i agree those things are pretty pricey!!

Comment

How big a log? How big a tenon? and how many?

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
        I suddenly have the need for a tenon cutter for about 10 log ends. Looking at the commercial ones I can't help but think one can be built for a few uses in a home shop. Anyone here made one? I am thinking a pipe with a flat flange welded on the end with a hss bit from the lathe strapped in somehow. I'm not to worried about perfect looking smooth cuts, this is a rough cut log bed.

Only other way I can think of putting it together is by cutting flats on each log on the ends and bolt or screw them together.

Would love to hear some advise and possibly see some pics.

A pic of the tool and what it does:

Drill a hole through a block of wood slightly larger than the tenon. Cut a slot in the block just wide enough to hold a cutter. The cutter can be made from an old saw blade or any other high carbon steel. Hold the cutter in the slot with a couple of bolts. You may need to experiment with the angle and width of the slot to get it to cut efficiently. Think of it as a wood plane with a round shoe.

For 10 of them, it would probably be faster and easier as well as looking better if you just cut them with an ax.
        Last edited by elf; 12-01-2012, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcAG View Post
          How big a log? How big a tenon? and how many?

I am thinking something around 1.75 x 2.5" tenon The logs are around 6" at the big end and 3" at the small end.

One other thing I was thinking of trying was a hole saw strait in the end and then just cut around the log with a saw to remove the doughnut.
          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
            I am thinking something around 1.75 x 2.5" tenon The logs are around 6" at the big end and 3" at the small end.

One other thing I was thinking of trying was a hole saw strait in the end and then just cut around the log with a saw to remove the doughnut.
            Probably would work BUT you'd have to do a LOT of "pecking" to keep the
            teeth clear. (no place for the sawdust to go) .
            I was thinking if you don't need the nice radius at the end of the tennon, it
            shouldn't be too difficult to "gin up" a cutter like you mentioned at the start.
            ...lew...

Comment

I'm gonna look around what I have and see if I can come up with anything today. I'll have to dig around the attics of the shops, I might be surprised what I find, I may even find an actual tenon cutter.
              Andy

Comment

Post 316 in the "Shop Made Tools" might have some info for ideas. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...701#post515701

Comment

Make a red neck wood lathe!

Drive a nail into both ends of the log and support the log on these centers.

Affix a chainsaw to a board that is hinged. Put a stop underneath the board so the saw can only go to the desired diameter. Have an assistant rotate the log and it will make your tenon.

Comment

Slightly less redneck version...

If you have a table saw and/or a radial arm saw, you could easily fashion a jig. Make it like a overgrown V-block with some rollers.

You'll get a better finish than the chansaw method, albeit slightly less exciting and a bit less fun.

Comment

If you can manage to get a relatively square tenon with a circular saw, chain saw, etc. You can easily finish up with a draw knife by hand. It actually doesn't take that long, it's an easily controllable tool if adequately sharp and pretty fast at that. And it's satisfying to boot.

Comment

I own / operate a Log Home company. We've cut tens of thousands of those tennons.
                        Here's a picture of a tennon cutter I made a few years ago. Not a great picture but I think youll get the idea.
                        Basically a modified radial arm saw with a jig to spin the spindles like turning between centers.
                        Brush cutter blade W/ chainsaw teeth. - Conventional sawblade works, just slower.
                        For only 10 pieces you could screw together some plywood for a frame, a couple screws or nails thru for centers and spin them by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by gary hart View Post
                          Post 316 in the "Shop Made Tools" might have some info for ideas. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...701#post515701
                          Very nice! Thats the kind of thing I was thinking at first but I really don't have anything big enough to make the body out of unless I welded something together.

Originally posted by rancherbill View Post
                          Make a red neck wood lathe!

Drive a nail into both ends of the log and support the log on these centers.

Affix a chainsaw to a board that is hinged. Put a stop underneath the board so the saw can only go to the desired diameter. Have an assistant rotate the log and it will make your tenon.
                          Originally posted by spongerich View Post
                          Slightly less redneck version...

If you have a table saw and/or a radial arm saw, you could easily fashion a jig. Make it like a overgrown V-block with some rollers.

You'll get a better finish than the chansaw method, albeit slightly less exciting and a bit less fun.
                          Originally posted by cuslog View Post
                          I own / operate a Log Home company. We've cut tens of thousands of those tennons.
                          Here's a picture of a tennon cutter I made a few years ago. Not a great picture but I think youll get the idea.
                          Basically a modified radial arm saw with a jig to spin the spindles like turning between centers.
                          Brush cutter blade W/ chainsaw teeth. - Conventional sawblade works, just slower.
                          For only 10 pieces you could screw together some plywood for a frame, a couple screws or nails thru for centers and spin them by hand.

That is a great way to get it done! I may look this way if I have to do any more cuts like this again.

Well I made up a real conglomeration of a cutter today and got 4 ends done so far. Came in to eat for a quick break. Gonna go back out and drill some holes and see how it goes together. I'll take some pics of the contraption as well.
                          Andy

Comment

Here is my crude temporary contraption. It is a big socket that happen to be the right size to take a thread for a bottle valve protector. Threaded the cage on and wedged a hss blank between the threads and used a bolt to hold it down tight. The hose clamps and metal strips were the fine tuning of the tool.

I had to cut down the end of the logs a bit on the big end before running the contraption in. The small end of the logs I was able to just run the contraption right in.
                            Andy

Comment

"The mother of invention!!"

We need pics of the finished bed now , when you get it done.

Comment

Working...
                              X