Who sells ¼" R-8 endmill holders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who sells ¼" R-8 endmill holders?

Where can I buy some reasonably priced setscrew type R-8 endmill holders for ¼" endmills, the only ones I can find are around $100 ea, I am just looking for some <$25 China ones but I can't seem to find any, seems like they all skip from 3/16 to 3/8.

Use a 3/8" with 1/4" x 3/8" end mills, unless you have a large amount of 1/4" end mills or bore a 3/16" to 1/4"
    Last edited by deltaenterprizes; 11-30-2012, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Odd you just don't use collets for the smaller sizes.
      Only over 1/2" end mills you might need the proper holders,
      and only if really hogging. I have used 3/4" collets with no
      problems of tool slipping. Also be mindful that cheap ass
      R-8 collets can be out of tolerance and not hold tools well.
      Same for worn collets. They bellmouth and don't hold well
      any more.

--Doozer
      DZER

Comment

Originally posted by PJRitz View Post
        Where can I buy some reasonably priced setscrew type R-8 endmill holders for ¼" endmills, the only ones I can find are around $100 ea, I am just looking for some <$25 China ones but I can't seem to find any, seems like they all skip from 3/16 to 3/8.
        Why would you want to use setscrew style endmill holders, won't they have more runout than collet style holders?

Comment

I do have a bunch of ¼" shank endmills I like and I currently use them in collets, but since I am using them in a CNC series I Bridgeport, I would like to not have to touch off each time I change tools, and I don't want the expense or size of the R-8 to ER type of collet holders. The setscrew type endmill holders work fine for my other sizes, just can't find them in ¼"

Comment

Makes sense.

Comment

I have some, got them cheap off Ebay. The 1/4 inch ones aren't that common but they come and go. Just check in every day or 2. I use the setscrew holders quite a bit from 3/16 through 1-1/2. They work just fine for most things. The runout is much less than most people think, I have used them for years and can hold a thou or 2 consistently. For most projects this is quite adequate.

Comment

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...d-Mill-Holders

Comment

As far as brand name goes I know Lyndex makes them. If you're willing to use "import" house brand then check out Wholesale Tool part number 1616-0008. I'm sure other suppliers stock them.
                  Last edited by Ohio Mike; 11-30-2012, 10:20 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

There are two on eBay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/R8-1-4-inch-...item53f0e50e06

http://www.ebay.com/itm/R8-Bridgepor...item53f000282a

Comment

You could drill or bore the 3/16 out to 1/4". I have used the 3/16 end mill holders to make R8 hole saw arbors. Some are easily machined and some must be annealed locally to soften them. I have not had any trouble holding small endmills in a R8 collet or a good keyless drill chuck. An R8- ER collet would be the best way to go in the long run. The suggestion to use a 1/4" mill with a 3/8 body is probably the easiest way to go. Like most newbys I bought a set of those import mills that come with 20 pc. in a wooden box for $49.95 They usually have some of this sizes included.
                      Byron Boucher
                      Burnet, TX

Comment

http://hardinge.com/index.asp?pageID=63&prodID=76

There are others.

Comment

Funny question this one and must be related to location.

Over here in the UK 1/4" is bog standard but we have to jump thru hoops to get 3/16"

BYW nice link Tiffie, the OP said he doesn't want to pay $100 each and you have linked to Hardinge's site where they are $200 a pop

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

You don't state where you are located which makes a big difference in trying to answer these kinds of questions as shipping is often a deal killer in many cases.
                            However KMS Tools in western Canada currently has them on sale for $15.95. See link below.

http://www.kmstools.com/eflyer/#page41
                            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

Sorry I didn't have my location listed, that has been corrected,

Seems like Wholesale Tool might be my best option, Some of the ones in England wouldn't be bad (Probably better quality) if it wasn't for the shipping, I did manage to buy a manual for my lathe from England once, at least it was only a couple bucks for shipping. Hard to believe I had better luck finding a manual for an American made lathe in England than here (1942 Hendey 14x54)

Still haven't found a use for the 3/16 endmill holders that come in the sets, might have to grind up some engraving cutters to fit them.

Comment

Working...
                              X