OT - this site and back arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - this site and back arrow

I dont know if something has changed on this site but I have noticed that it now takes 2 clicks on the back arrow to return to the main menu!
    Doesnt happen on other forums I frequent, they only require one click!

Anyone else noticed this!

peter
    I have tools I don't know how to use!!

I only need one click to go back.

Comment

Has something to do with the Amazon ad thing. If I hovermy mouse over the back button, the address displayed is rcm.amazon.com/...

I also have to click the back button twice on this site.

Chuck

Comment

I only have to click once to go forward or back & don't get anything when I hover?
        "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
        world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
        country, in easy stages."
        ~ James Madison

Comment

I notice that if I post, sometimes I get back to the main list in one click, and other times it goes first to the post page, and the second click back to the main list. I have not bothered to observe and see why there is a difference, whether I did something different.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

If you use your browser's Back button you will most likely get a locally cached version of the previous page. The page counters won't be updated and you will not be made aware of new posts that arrived while you were reading posts in a topic. You may also not get your session token updated on the server so if you logged in without selecting the Remember Me button you will be logged out sooner.

The Back button is especially evil when working on banking pages where you are several pages deep into a transaction. The Back button will not inform the server you have returned to the previous page and all hell breaks out. The Back button belongs in the legacy technologies drawer with buggy whips and button hooks. Except on simple web sites they are more fuss than they are worth. Use the forum nav links to avoid problems (Forum -> General at the top of the page, for example)

Comment

Originally posted by ptjw7uk View Post
              I dont know if something has changed on this site but I have noticed that it now takes 2 clicks on the back arrow to return to the main menu!
              Doesnt happen on other forums I frequent, they only require one click!

Anyone else noticed this!

peter
              Pete, did you put the clocks forward about a month ago ?
              If not that's why two clicks, one to go back now and one to go back pre BST.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by dp View Post

The Back button is especially evil when working on banking pages where you are several pages deep into a transaction. The Back button will not inform the server you have returned to the previous page and all hell breaks out. The Back button belongs in the legacy technologies drawer with buggy whips and button hooks. Except on simple web sites they are more fuss than they are worth. Use the forum nav links to avoid problems (Forum -> General at the top of the page, for example)
                You know, there IS a "reload from source" button, AND there are settings which affect the reload as well.

The "back" button is ACTUALLY rather useful, so long as the user is not a complete cretin. I AM aware that IT folks KNOW that every single user without exception IS in fact a cretin, but that doesn't necessarily make it so.........

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                  You know, there IS a "reload from source" button, AND there are settings which affect the reload as well.

The "back" button is ACTUALLY rather useful, so long as the user is not a complete cretin. I AM aware that IT folks KNOW that every single user without exception IS in fact a cretin, but that doesn't necessarily make it so.........
                  I think I just wrote all that to point out the web page designers are more the cretin. End users didn't create the problem and are not at fault, but also clearly don't understand the problem. I witness it from the server side and see it all the time. Oddly many page designers are reluctant to remove the back buttons from those browsers that allow it. All too big-brotherish, don't you know.

Comment

OK will use the forum 'General' button on this forum from now on!
                    Only 40 years into computing so still learning! Already hate win8!!! nothings going to work on that!

peter

Only downside is that you have to go to the page top to do it!!
                    Last edited by ptjw7uk; 12-02-2012, 05:49 AM. Reason: spelling and comment

Comment

DP is entirely correct. We web developers suffer greatly because of the back button. We are defenseless against it. This isn't a Windows issue, by the way. It's a symptom of the original HTTP designer not envisioning dynamic content where the actions on one page can affect the behavior of a preceding page. When we go 'back', the preceding page is inaccurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ennis View Post
                        DP is entirely correct. We web developers suffer greatly because of the back button.
                        But the back button isn't the problem -- it's the Amazon gift card ad.

It's giving Chrome Adblock Plus fits...

By the way, it's specific to the way the Village Press web developers implemented the ad. It's not Amazon's fault.
                        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo View Post
                          But the back button isn't the problem -- it's the Amazon gift card ad.

It's giving Chrome Adblock Plus fits...

By the way, it's specific to the way the Village Press web developers implemented the ad. It's not Amazon's fault.
                          The Back button is a problem aside from the advert problem. That is just bad html.

Comment

Btw is it just me or does the forum take a lot longer to load since the amazon ad?
                            Seems the amazon ad along with the website backround pops up and then the rest of the site takes a few seconds longer
                            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Not sure what has cured this malady, MS updates or whatever but back arrow working as it should now!

Peter

Comment

Working...
                              X