Mach 3 and plasma table questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mach 3 and plasma table questions

I have been going between buying a finished CNC plasma table or building one. Having no CNC experience how difficult is it to get up to speed using Mach to actually get cut parts off the table?

The leading canidate at this point is a PlasmaCam built 5 x 10 table.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Doing a plasma conversion at the moment from a simple Chinese all in one tablet type control that's stopped working and there is absolutely no support for it.

Going to stuff mach3 on it for the controller but the bulk of the work will be done in Sheetcam
    www.sheetcam.co.uk

This was originally written for plasma tables then spun off for mills etc.

In plasma mode it can handle torch hight control, width of kerf and automatically do all the piercing, lead in's, lead outs etc

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

John I tried to go to the link you provided and this is what came up. I think big brother is watching me!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

How are you with electronics? And what pieces would you use for the axis dives? You might consider a drive for each end of the X-Axis as that takes any wiggle out of that axis. Setting up your own table with Mach3 will take some time, and then oyu would still need to learn a bit about program development for the CNC programs to actually cut the parts. What kinds of parts are you going to be cutting? Simple or complex? Any past experience with CNC? Any experience with CAD?

Comment

I have experience with CAD. None with CNC. The parts will range from simple to complex.

Comment

Sorry BF try sheetcam.com not co.uk

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Thanks John you clumsy bastard!

Comment

Here is my plasma table that I built. I never could get Mach to work, just too confusing and and if I wanted something different they wanted me to pay for that too... Sheetcam is a bit clumsy when you first start but it does work and it is cost effective.

Edit: fix copy and paste error for link.

John
                Last edited by BigJohnT; 12-03-2012, 08:36 AM.
                My Web Site

Comment

BigJohnT, you might want to check that link - it points to a keyboard overlay. I'm not sure where the pictures of his plasma table are, but for now,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvhvQu5Xxtk&list=UL is a video of BigJohnT's plasma table.

Jim

Comment

The last post of the video showed the cutter running in the wrong direction for an outside cut like that. Outside cuts should be clockwise and inside CCW.
                    Plain ol Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Plain ol Bill View Post
                      The last post of the video showed the cutter running in the wrong direction for an outside cut like that. Outside cuts should be clockwise and inside CCW.

Why ???????????

Comment

Is he south of the equator?
                        Cheers,
                        Gary

Comment

Originally posted by gcude View Post
                          Is he south of the equator?
                          No but it probably brought a flush to his cheeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                            I have experience with CAD. None with CNC. The parts will range from simple to complex.
                            Just define your budget and dive in... It's not just a project, it's an adventure!
                            John M...your (un)usual basement dweller

Comment

That is not a CNC mill, it is a plasma cutter, so it doesn't have climb/conventional cuts.
                              Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Working...
                              X