This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monarch 10ee Aficionados, Comments Please

Those in the know about the Monarch 10ee lathe, your comments are sought regarding
    the machine shown below, a motor-generator model in running condition.

Not visible in the photos is a bumper sticker that reads: "My other lathe is a Dean, Smith & Grace"

Comment

How does the wear look along the ways?
      "The Administration does not support blowing up planets." --- Finally some SENSIBLE policy from the Gov!

Comment

Many know more than I, though I own one.

That is a fairly old one, probably late 1940's. It doesn't appear to have electric lead screw reverse, that I can see, and those who use these well seem to think that is a good feature.

It has a remarkably nice collection of attachments. That, in itself, might speak to some careful use of the machine, or, even, non use (and this is a very good feature of this machine). Insulation of these--and there is a lot of it--can be dried out and brittle and flaky.

I can see if it has a taper attachment--must of them do, but not all.

Comment

This is owned by a fellow member i think? Very reasonable price on it if i am correct
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/csprecision

Comment

I don't know anything about monarchs but the fact that the ad page has had over 1500 views and nobody's bought it would worry me.

Comment

Originally posted by Grind Hard View Post
              How does the wear look along the ways?
              That's what it comes down to. Price can range anywhere from free (if you haul it off) to $6,000, depending on the condition of the ways and the bearings.

Looks like a lot of rust in the first two pictures?
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

From what I can see of the lathe, it doesn't have the taper attachment, nor the collet attachment, however, it is a very well tooled machine,otherwise. It is a "round" dial machine, design dating from the late '30's. Sometime in the mid '40's, Monarch changed the gearbox design to the "square dial". One advantage of the round dial over the square dial, is the ease of fitting metric conversion threading gears.
                You will be better served by asking about this lathe on the Monarch forum in PM.
                Harry
                Last edited by beckley23; 12-04-2012, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 12teethperinch View Post
                  I don't know anything about monarchs but the fact that the ad page has had over 1500 views and nobody's bought it would worry me.
                  probably because I keep talking buyers out of it. There are no 70 year old lathes without lots of wear.....or if they are they'd be 3-4x this price.

I disclose on the first the phone call so neither party wastes time, that imo this lathe (and any one that old) is a project. It works and will make chips but is not going to perform like a 10ee should. I've two, both about same amount of wear, and both that deserve the full bed regrind/scraping treatment...expecting a 10ee with this much tooling for that price and isn't worn is imo very wishful thinking. I've had maybe two calls from knowledgeable people; everyone else hasn't a clue about machine tool reconditioning or what a 10ee is; they really just need a colchester or standard modern in decent shape so that's what i tell them.

The one i'm keeping doesn't have a drive train, whereas this one does. Another 10ee recently traded to a chap I know around here and the previous owner had done a nice conversion - left the DC motor in place and made a big DC power supply. Simple elegant solution taking full advantage of the special DC motor these use but silent - eliminates the noise MG drive. That's what I'd do with this one.

come on by for a look and shop tour

Comment

Something tells me its been machining wood, machine is very rusty. Tool holders have saw dust on them, I would avoid a machine tool that has been machining wood very hard on ways if not lubed properly. I may be way off. Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has got one and they all stink!

Comment

EE's are wonderful lathes our school has 10 of them and they are very dependable and they take the abuse from our students..... Good accuracy too!

Comment

come on by for a look and shop tour [/QUOTE]

I would love too. Would we both be able to be in your shop at the same time or would we have to take turns. Unfortunatly I am way in the west same city as the op. from reading your posts over the years I have a great deal of respect for you and agree its probably your integrity keeping that lathe from flying out the door. Out here it wouldn't last that long, tool desert and all. I suppose in 25 years or so all the home shop guys here with have oilfield lathes with 12 inch spindle bores in there shops though.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty J. Roberts View Post
                          Something tells me its been machining wood, machine is very rusty. Tool holders have saw dust on them, I would avoid a machine tool that has been machining wood very hard on ways if not lubed properly. I may be way off. Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has got one and they all stink!
                          Maybe guys could come see the lathe rather than voicing uninformed and speculative opinions all over the web? its something i'm trying to sell and am 100% upfront, to a fault, as to its condition but dont really appreciate completely speculative trashing of it.

The lathe is not rusty, its how the old patina of bright metal parts shows up on the digital camera. The old guy did not use it but had wood working equipment, he got it from work and it sit in the garage. He actually never got it running, he didn't have 3 phase....but I've already said its condition, like any 70 year old lathe and especially one of its caliber, it is ready and deserves a reconditioning.

George perhaps we can lock this?

12tpi, thanks for the kind words

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                            expecting a 10ee with this much tooling for that price and isn't worn is imo very wishful thinking.
                            Mike, the problem with selling to somewhere here is that you gloated about how much you paid for them
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Looks like a fair price considering the tooling included IMHO. What would it cost if made today with all the extras? Will be quite the machine when rebuilt.
                              "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                              world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                              country, in easy stages."
                              ~ James Madison

Comment

Working...
                              X