these dreadful new gas cans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• these dreadful new gas cans

I am not just posting to snivel about the new gas cans. Here's a video showing some simple tweaks to make to make them actually usable:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnwdIYEfI

I did find a few vendors selling new spouts and vents for the old Blitz-type cans. They want TEN DOLLARS apiece for them.

OK, that's gouging!

Oh, well, guess I don't have to buy them if I don't want to spend that much money.

metalmagpie

Wow, don't know if id feel comfortable sharing something of that nature on U-tube, I mean yeah the cans suck bad but so would a massive lawsuit when someones valve stem fails due to it NOT being impervious to gasoline and leaks in the garage next to the water heater...

Comment

Interesting modification on the cans.

Agreed those new cans i refuse to buy,, the idiots who designed this thing for other idiots, screwed up a perfectly usable can that worked well for the past ?? 30-40 years?

This past summer i ran across a garage sale with a bunch of 5 gallon and 2 gallon cans so bought them all. These are the old style. Kept out of direct sunlight they last for decades.

Comment

I sure with I could find new spouts for my Eagle gas cans. I used to think they were slow to pour out of but these new ones take at least 5 minutes to empty 6 gallons of diesel into my mower. Pi$$es me off. I swear whoever designed these new ones have never held a real gas can before. Rant over.

Brian
        OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

I have a 14 gallon can on wheels with a trigger nozzle that I put a valve stem on & pressurize with dry air that works great.
          "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
          world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
          country, in easy stages."
          ~ James Madison

Comment

Brian, i don't have a pic, but i had a few 5 gallon cans,that i needed to dump rather quickly into an elevated generorator tank outside the building. (Due to them being heavy and a bad back.)

What i did was simply cut a piece of rad hose, (can't remember if it was 2 inch or?) Whatever would jam over the can opening. I cut these pieces of hose 3 inches long , used a rad hose clamp to clamp them to the can neck. ----------Then i needed a cap for the hose.------------

I found a 2inch plastic pipe cap fit real snug over the stub of rad hose, yea!! a good cap.
            Used these for quite some time, and emptied as fast as you wanted to pour.

Comment

How to fix a gas can:
              Step 1: Throw gas can in trash.
              Step 2: Drive to canada where real gas cans are sold.
              Step 3: Buy real gas can:

Built in air vent into the filler tube, so no air vent cap to fiddle with or lose, standard oldschool turn upside down and stick in tank with sealing cap method (with a nice beefy oring molded onto the filler tube), so nothing sticking out when stored. ( http://www.ujr.ca/EN/3861600.jpg )

Also, due to the air vent built into the filler tube (it works WONDERFULY) when you insert the filler tube a few inches into your gas tank, you can NOT overfill your gas tank! it stops filling once the liquid level reachs the tip of the filler tube, So you don't even need to pay attention.

And wrap around handle so you can easily tip them and hold them at the best angle.

The only 'safty' feature is anti-overfill, and thats actualy nice. Well, that and the minor rachet catch on the cap, but you can see exactly what that does and hence its very intuative to use and easy to remove if you wish without damging the can, since its a totaly sperate peice of plastic you can snip off.
              Last edited by Black_Moons; 12-06-2012, 07:22 PM.
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Canada?? That looks like the same can with NO rear vent, and now the vent is another tube inside the spout!!

Stupis SOB's,, LEAVE DESIGNS THAT WORK, ALONE!!

Comment

MetalMagpie has some valid bitches that's for sure. Screw the new stuff. Proper Jerry cans have been working just fine for well over 60 years. A PITA to find, but they last a lifetime plus a bit.

Pete

Comment

You probably mean those "safety" cans you need three hands to hold the valve open and pour the fuel with? I usually saw the top off of them with my band saw and use them to store small parts.
                    No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

I hate the new gas cans as well. The problem with the "self venting" cans is you can't transport them a car, they reek, and if they tip over it really reeks (actually, the fix for transport is too wrap the nozzle with Saran wrap.) Also, I've had the self venting function fail once and a gas can swelled up like a freakin' watermelon. Like in the video, I remove the "child safety" lock POS, but haven't added a real operational vent, which is a good idea.
                      Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

A different thought on the linked video...is that garage really full of plastic cans full of gasoline? As the camera was panning I noticed a Lincoln Mig welder in the corner. Those cans can't be full of gas can they? Why so many cans?

Stuart

Comment

I have 6 5 gallon steel "Jerry" cans, made by Blitz; generator gas for the winter storms. Blitz won't sell replacement spouts (they say they are not allowed), and the ebay stuff is absolute JUNK. It's Chinese, the spout "epoxy" joint is made of flour and water and the "chrome" rusts in weeks. Oh... mine were nearly $20 after shipping.

I'm going to use my broken spout bases, add 5/8 or 3/4 rubber fuel line with a fuel tap on the end. The pathethic blitz air holes that drip gas on your shoes will be brazed shut and a proper screw vent added to the high point in the can.
                          Last edited by lakeside53; 12-06-2012, 10:18 PM.

Comment

So many cans there cause the guy is a "Prepper" as stated.

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
                              So many cans there cause the guy is a "Prepper" as stated.
                              If those are truly full of gasoline then that "prepper" better be prepared to meet his maker IMHO!

Stuart

Comment

Working...
                              X