Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What brand lathes use a spigot to hold the compound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What brand lathes use a spigot to hold the compound?

I just bought a small angle plate with a built in spigot. Thought it would work out well with my Atlas.
    Oh no! same height, same angle,but slightly larger diameter.
    I know Southbend used spigots and I think Logans did. Who else used that system?

I don't claim to be an expert about all Logans, but my 10" 1943 850 doesn't use a spigot not does my Logan 200 model. Remembering looking through parts catalogs for various Logan models there were two different types of compound mountings but neither had a spigot as I recall.

Comment

Been a lomg time since I had it off, but I'm pretty sure my 13" LeBlond pivots on a spigot'

Comment

10" Sheldon E models do. At least from 1951 on. Can't remember, I think it's either 1.250" or 1.500"

Comment

I have a spigot on my kitchen and bathroom sink. Why do you have one on your lathe?

Comment

My Southbend has a circular dovetail which is held in place by 2 brass faced set screws . No water involved coming out of spigot?

Comment

I have no idea why it's called a spigot.

Comment

Earlier Sheldons too, not sure if all models though...Atlas...on the Sheldon I have the spigot is actually on a slightly raised section

Do the spigots all go the same direction? I mean you have the hole it fits into and the spigot but are they all the same, spigot pointing up from bottom part or are some spigot pointing down from top part?

Comment

I think it probably falls under the idea "something resembling a spigot".

Thank goodness we do not have to make up a completely new word for every thing we make.
                  Paul A.

Make it fit.
                  You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

The Myford Super 7 also has a dovetail spigot similar to the one on a S/B 9" lathe. The vertical slide fits into this same hole on the cross slide. A very secure system IMO.

Geoff

Comment

My generic 14 x 40 has a round vertical spigot standing up from the crossslide. Don't remember its diameter but its quite anemic considering the size of the lathe

Comment

Working...
                      X