Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VFD HELP! TECO 110V EV to 1/2 hp 3 phase motor. Motor won't run.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFD HELP! TECO 110V EV to 1/2 hp 3 phase motor. Motor won't run.

Just hooked up my Teco VFD to my new surface grinder and no joy!

I'm using a TECO 110V single to 220V 3 phase VFD. VFD is rated for 1 hp and the motor is 1/2 hp. I had the machine running off my rotary so I have to think the motor is good.

VFD connected directly to the motor. I ohm'd the motor, 9.3 ohms across any wire to any other. Infinite ohms to ground for any wire.

The motor just "jogs" back and forth about 10 deg and growls. If I let it go a while (4 seconds) the main blows (20amp circuit with nothing else running)

motor plate info:
    volts 220
    60hz
    rpm 3450
    3 phase
    hp 1/2
    amps 1.4
    form AOS
    time rating 40
    duty cont
    made in usa by robbins and myer
    Last edited by hitnmiss; 12-08-2012, 11:44 AM.

<. 0 ohms to ground.> If you really mean 0 then you have a serious problem.
    ...lew...

Comment

Make sure you are not plugging it into a circuit with a GFI in it. Run an extension to another non-GFI circuit to check.
      George
      Traverse City, MI

Comment

Good catch Lew! I meant infinity to gnd.

George, I am on a GFI. I'll try that thanks.

Also, I went and double checked the motor plate:

Hard to see but in person it looks like a 3 and a 1 were stamped on the plate...
        Could a 1 phase motor run off a rotary hooked to 3 phase?

Here are the wires

Last edited by hitnmiss; 12-08-2012, 11:52 AM. Reason: photobucket sucks

Comment

Can't see your wire photo, but if it is a single phase motor and you found three wires for three phase you possibly got a ground in the mix.

Comment

Thanks Chip, I agree one would have to be a ground...

I think I fixed the wire pic.

Comment

Changed out the GFI breaker for a std one and it works.

Thanks George, your the man.

Comment

I have the same vfd and had exactly the same problem. Glad you got it up and running. Now make some chips!
                George
                Traverse City, MI

Comment

Well bummer, it worked. kinda. It went back to growling and barely turning.

I set the freq to 30hz and it ran, but I think 30hz doesn't matter, can't get it to run again, just growls like before.

When I got it to run, it ran great for a few minutes. Freq up and down worked as it should. Managed to get the wheel mostly dressed. Then it won't start again.

Maybe a parameter needs set? I think I'll try slowing and speeding the acceleration time.

Any thoughts?

Comment

There are many parameters that could/should be set, but post a list of what you have done differently from factory defaults and we can go from there. If you are unsure, reset to factory default, and start again.
                    Last edited by lakeside53; 12-10-2012, 01:19 PM.

Comment

I tried resetting to factory defaults and it worked! But backwards... So I reversed two of the 3 phases and it cogs again. I reversed them back and it runs fine (but backwards of course)

I'm at a loss...

Comment

Those motor tails look more than ready to be replaced!

If this is a sensorless vector drive, then put it into plain V/F mode.
                        Paul Compton
                        www.morini-mania.co.uk
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

Originally posted by hitnmiss View Post
                          I tried resetting to factory defaults and it worked! But backwards... So I reversed two of the 3 phases and it cogs again. I reversed them back and it runs fine (but backwards of course)

I'm at a loss...

Put it back to how it runs, look up the direction parameter [F03] direction and enter it [001]. Does that work?

As above - V/F control C14, set to 001 [default is vector, 000]
                          Last edited by lakeside53; 12-10-2012, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Agreed the wires are a little scary... Never opened up a motor, are the wires something easy enough to replace?

I did try to reverse direction with the VFD and got the same results, just cogs

I'll try the C14 setting tonight.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Are your bearings shot?

Comment

Working...
                              X