Stainless steel firearms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless steel firearms?

Has anyone ever seen a shotgun made from stainless steel.
    I have seen a nickel plated marine model but never a stainless steel model.
    If they are not made why? Mechanical reasons, cost, etc...?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Greg

Flash a stainless shotgun at a duck and he'll be in the next county before you can set down your GameBoy and your martini to take a shot at him. A shiney stainless shotgun might impress the geeks at the skeet club though.

Practically speaking, I don't know why not a stainless shotgun unless it's the metallurgy. Shotgun barrels have to be light enough to shoot meaning the hoop stresses may be higher. The stainless alloys I'm aware of having enough strength for fire arms barrels are notch sensitive to some degree. I don't know that any shotgun maker would want to market a shot gun that couldn't take the nastiest magnam hand loads.

Comment

In the (distant) past there were shotgun barrels made of High chromium content steel that was rust resistant. Great for the maritime states. for some reason the (cost?) the practice was discontinued.

Kurt
      KurtSimmons

Comment

Ruger Red Labels have SS recievers.

Comment

416 stainless, in its annealed condition, is just about the worst material to be used for firearms. I do a fair number of muzzle brakes and I can’t believe how soft these stainless barrels are.

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-15-2004).]

Comment

Greg

There was a remington 870 pump series 10 ga and 3.5 magnum in stainless - unless I ma going senile. The 10Ga was about $800 and the 12 was $600 Canadian the 12 also had a lifeline launcher available for marine use. Also the Mossberg was avilable in pump

Comment

Winchester made a stainless version of it's Defender,it was called a marine version, I sold a couple back in the late 80's. I don't know if they are still made.

Comment

Browning currently produces either (or both) the BT-99 and BT-100 single barrel trap guns in stainless.

Comment

Yes- Swedish manufacturer Flodman has been making high-quality shotguns in stainless from head to toe for several years. Father of a friend o'mine has one. They hold up reasonably well apparently. Google it; they must have a website someplace.

Comment

I have a snake charmer (.410) that is all stainless and plastic.
                      David from jax
                      A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by meho:
                        Ruger Red Labels have SS recievers.</font>
                        Actually some of the first ones had blued steel receivers, and then they changed to Stainless. Shot at many a skeet with a blued one. (Note the "at" as I am not the best, but I do enjoy it)

A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

Comment

My friend has an Ithaca pump 12 guage he bought used, used to be a police shotgun. It's either stainless or nickel, I haven't looked at it much.

Comment

Winchester 1300 stainless marine has a plated aluminum receiver with nickel or chrome(I forget which) plated barrel.

Mossberg Marinecote model 500 also uses a plated aluminum receiver with plated barrel.

IIRC, the marine version of the Remington 870 uses plated steel receiver and barrel. Although the receiver could possibly be stainless steel.

Comment

Working...
                            X