Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Round ram BP mill FS on Craigslist near Dayton Ohio...$600..looks like it has a DRO..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round ram BP mill FS on Craigslist near Dayton Ohio...$600..looks like it has a DRO..

http://dayton.craigslist.org/tls/3465266297.html

Just a heads up for those looking....

Not my listing

Not a bad deal, but from what I can see, it looks like an M head with a half horse motor
    Rich

Comment

I'd bite on that, but getting it down the basement steps would be... rough.

Comment

It is an M head, but the motor looks like a non-Bridgeport grafted on. It is possibly a single phase. Looks like a good deal for someone who needs a mill.

Nothing wrong with an M head, it is just limited to 1/2" collets.
        Jim H.

Comment

That's not a bad deal, especially if it has been converted to single phase. The only negative would be that it may be an MT spindle instead of an R-8. If so, your tooling imay be more difficult to find and to use. As mentioned above, it is probably 1/2" maximum.

For a home machinist, the R-8 tooling is advantageous. When I was looking for a mill, I took my professional machinist friend with me and we looked at several machines similar to this one. He advised me to continue looking for a machine with R-8 and he finally found one for me. I'm glad that I have it now.

Comment

Originally posted by GNM109 View Post
            That's not a bad deal, especially if it has been converted to single phase. The only negative would be that it may be an MT spindle instead of an R-8. If so, your tooling imay be more difficult to find and to use. As mentioned above, it is probably 1/2" maximum.
            The M head would either have a Morse No 2, Brown and Sharpe No 7, or in rare instances the Bridgeport "B3" spindle. Really 1/2 HP is all you want on that machine so the 1/2" shank limitation kind of goes hand in hand with the limitations of the machine itself. New import collets and end-mill holders are available for both 2MT and 7BS spindles so tooling it would not be an issue.

Comment

I bet that guy would have a better time using that mill if it was facing the other way!

Comment

Working...
              X