Simple,efficent machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple,efficent machine

Check this guy out,straightening,cutting and forming what looks like wire collars for rebar cages.Pretty slick setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uonWwpgor7U
    I just need one more tool,just one!

And the follow up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0X8lNEPV_g

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Good job for a kid. Teach him the value of money. I've had jobs like that and I am no worse for wear. Worked for an electric company when I was 19, testing rubber goods for the linemen. Sat in front of a shop-made machine, blowing up rubber gloves one at a time to look for leaks. All day long.

Tom
      Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Imagine your right arm after an 8 hour shift. Kid can prolly bench press a Buick.
        Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

Originally posted by browne92 View Post
          Kid can prolly bench press a Buick.
          With one arm.

Comment

Originally posted by dp View Post
            With one arm.
            Only with the right arm though. But he can crank start it no problem with the left! (While bench pressing it with the right, no less!)
            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

One of the manufacturing methods for making "Circlips" was to edge wind a rectangular (trapezoidal) section of steel "Wire" onto a mandrel on the lathe, in a tight coil, bit like a Slinky. This coil was then placed into a horizontal mill and clamped on its ends and a slitting cutter run down the length to form a series of seperate "Kinked" rings. Then came the fun part. Grab a few rings and un-kink them using the thumb side of the right hand first finger and the left hand thumb to twist them flat.

Now for the stats, this was a two "Man" operation, one on the lathe making 15" long coils and the other slitting and flattening two sets of coils before the first guy finished winding another pair of coils. As the second guy was off sick, I, as an Apprentice (Low paid slave) was draughted in as a substitute and after minor familiarisation was expected to maintain the swing of the operation. Unfortunately the operation was a piece work (quantity bonus) driven job and was expected that the production was maintained.

Afterabout a quarter of an hour, the fingies were a bit sore despite wearing rubberised industrial gloves for "Protection". At the end of an eight hour shift they really hurt a bit. By the third day I was ready to hand my notice in and after a fortnight, had I had a car, I would have run over the works manager. Fortunately, at the start of the third week, the normal guy was back. Years later i still got a ghost ache when seeing the clips that were made in this way. Oh the joys of youth and no, it just made me resent the stupidity of tight arsed manufacturing methods of the sixties.

Regards Ian

Oh, "wire" section, 3/8" wide by 3/16" thick. Carbon Steel.
              Last edited by Circlip; 12-10-2012, 06:17 AM.
              You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Working in the sun sucks, but at least he's not doing the same thing all day.
                Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

I'd hire him in a heart beat.

Comment

Working...
                  X