OT: Anybody "cut the cord"???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Anybody "cut the cord"???

We are considering it. We have reviewed the channels we watch and record. So far the biggest issue is the "record" issue. Next is the few show my wife watches on the cable channels...such as Burn Notice and Covert Affairs.....

But it looks like between an antenna, Netflix and Hulu Plus, we should be able to make it all work.

I have done some research on recording over the air tv "ota" and it looks like there a few options.

Has anybody done it? Anybody record OTA tv?

Originally posted by cuemaker View Post
    We are considering it. We have reviewed the channels we watch and record. So far the biggest issue is the "record" issue. Next is the few show my wife watches on the cable channels...such as Burn Notice and Covert Affairs.....

But it looks like between an antenna, Netflix and Hulu Plus, we should be able to make it all work.

I have done some research on recording over the air tv "ota" and it looks like there a few options.

Has anybody done it? Anybody record OTA tv?
    Save your valuable time. Find someone with a 44 magnum and have them shoot your TV. Read a book...Jack Reacher or Harry Bosch or Jo Nesbo...anyone! Shoot the cable guy while you're at it. Your brain will thank you.

Stuart

Comment

We turned off the dish several years ago & don't think we've missed much. We do have Netflix for movies.
      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
      country, in easy stages."
      ~ James Madison

Comment

Agreed !! Once you BREAK that "Have to sit and stare at" HABIT, you will find your'e life MUCH better!!

Been a NONE TV watcher for at least 25 years!!

(There are THOUSANDS out there who are also doing it, and have done it!!)

Comment

while I can live without tv, as I only tend to watch sports or how its made.. its a non negotiable subject with SWMBO...

Comment

find new a swmbo

Comment

I record OTA HD with my Tivo when the cable quits. The Tivo Premier seemlessly integrates cable and OTA programming. 99% of all programming is junk, but that's why I have Tivo to record what I want and then watch it when I want. ZERO reality shows, sitcoms and SPORTS get recorded, and zero ads get watched. In the 1%, there's some good stuff.
              Last edited by lakeside53; 12-09-2012, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Go ahead, cut the cord. I did it last year, miss none of the "junk" . Although I have a 200 dollar outside antenna and rotor, I could have gotten almost the same channels with a set of rabbit ears. And don't forget, its all free. Also got rid of the land based phone line we had for the last 42 years at the same time. I have a $19.99 internet connection and a mailbox out at the highway, that's all.

Comment

Internet, TracFone, and rabbit ears.

Interestingly enough at my peak phone usage I was never using more than 250 min a month. That included text messages. Prepaid phone with 600 min on it lasts me 2-3 months sometimes and it's a cinch to add more airtime.

TV, I only watch if something major is going on locally. Otherwise I get everything I need off the DSL.
                  "The Administration does not support blowing up planets." --- Finally some SENSIBLE policy from the Gov!

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                    In the 1%, there's some good stuff.
                    Don't keep me in suspense...what's the 'good stuff'? House Hunters International gets old after awhile. PBS has some good stuff...it that what you mean.

Stuart

Comment

My swmbo thought idiot box was non negotiable (brit-flicks & PBS mysterys)
                      but life got complicated for a bit and one day she notices she had not watched anything in weeks and was happy as a clam, still hasn't gone back in pretty near a year.
                      just a long winded way of saying even non negotiable things get negotiable sometimes
                      --
                      Tom C
                      ... nice weather eh?

Comment

I record OTA programming on a Windows Media Center PC (with HDTV tuner card).

I'm happy enough with it.

Also use Roku with Amazon Prime for on-demand movies and old TV series (plus free two-day shipping from Amazon). It's dangerous because it reduces the friction when buying stuff from Amazon (if you know that it will be in your hands in two days) and so you end up buying a lot more stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by cuemaker View Post
                          We are considering it
                          I never watch TV and only listen to KZOK 102.5 - the All Led Zeppelin, All The Time radio station (where the song truly remains the same). Once in a while if TJ Lebowski has a doo wop show on PBS I'll watch that, but TV is so 1950's, I'm bored with it. Besides, I'm too busy to for visual entertainment.

Comment

They killed the TV repeaters in this area about 12-14 years ago (there are NO TV stations within antenna distance, even with a tower.) Cable wanted $2,000 per mile to lay cable out to me, 4 miles away from the nearest hub. We haven't had TV since and don't miss it one bit.

Pops

Comment

No cable or other TV service for me and I get by. I do enjoy a select number of shows but usually get catch them on the internet. Works out well for me since I'm graduate student and do quite a bit of research. I can run large data files or program code while a second monitor plays a television show. I can't say I'm the worse for it; TV shows have this way of sucking you in and causing lethargy, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X