Anybody know a good reason for this tool combination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know a good reason for this tool combination

I was a little curious as to the thought process that arrived at such a combination:

http://www.chestermachinetools.com/products/detail/531

Anybody?

Phil

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...52801bdc14.gif

Scott

Comment

Can come in real handy if you're working on a piece of machinery with no good surfaces to mount a mag base--checking end-play on a shaft in a big gearbox, for example. Somewhere around here I have a "real" Vice-Grip with an ear welded to it. Comes in handy for holding a dial indicator, mirror or light. I've even used it as an improvised mount for a camera...
      Keith

Comment

Bingo. Nice one Scott. I hadn't realised that the vice grip was attached to the flexible arm. Without that it looked like a bit of a dogs dinner.

Phil

Originally posted by applescotty View Post

Comment

It does seem like a bit of an unholy marriage, kind of two opposite ends of the precision spectrum.

Scott

Comment

It does seem like a bit of an unholy marriage, kind of two opposite ends of the precision spectrum.

Scott
            No that would be my trusty 35# CMM-calibrating sledge-hammer.
            "The Administration does not support blowing up planets." --- Finally some SENSIBLE policy from the Gov!

Comment

Also good for measuring excessive movement in steering linkages. Worn ball joints for example. Measurements are required (in my state) to be noted on the inspection certificate in order to reject a vehicle for excessive play.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/s4...6_170520_0.jpg

Comment

Scott
                Well said!
                Measurement tools don't belong in the same box as visegrips.
                Dogs and cats living together - just wrong.
                Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Those good ol Vise-Grips, one of the handiest tools around,, a great invention going back to the 1940's?

Been used for some very unusual applications.

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
                    Those good ol Vise-Grips, one of the handiest tools around,, a great invention going back to the 1940's?

Been used for some very unusual applications.
                    Love the Vise Grips, hate the universal flexible arm.

Comment

The term "fitzall" seems to describe it well.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyd View Post
                        The term "fitzall" seems to describe it well.
                        A term my dad used for the channel locks that are about 2 foot long.

I've never been a fan of vise grips, for the same reason I'm not a big fan of WD40. Not because they aren't a good tool, but because people use them for the wrong thing. The many rounded/mangled bolts I've had to deal with because somebody was too lazy to grab the right sized wrench and went after it with vise grips.

But I own both, and use both. Would mind having the setup that the OP pictured, too. Looks handy.
                        Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

I live in St Louis.....

We, at least around here, have a name for vise grips and pump pliers (channel-locks)........... a pair of either is known as a "North County socket set".

People from the north part of the county are for some reason assumed to be what is known here as a "hoosier", i.e someone fresh from back in the hills who don't know much about nothin. (no I do NOT know how that term for an Indiana native came to have the other meaning here).

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

A few pairs of "Vice grips" are one item everyone should be carrying in their vehicle.

(Not for loosening nuts etc, but for holding things up if they fall apart etc.)

Comment

The mount for the flex arm is attached with roll pins to the vise grips, but the flex arm itself isn't attached.

That means you can use, and lose, the vise grips while working on other things.
                              Last edited by winchman; 12-13-2012, 02:06 PM.
                              Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
                              X