Question about 13" Cincinatti tray top lathe threading lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about 13" Cincinatti tray top lathe threading lever

We've got one in the shop, and the threading lever isn't working properly. Sometimes it will stick in the up position (half-nuts open). Sometimes it will go past the normal down position (half-nuts closed), opening the half-nuts, and stick there. When that happens, I have to use a pry bar to lift the lower half-nut while turning the handle to get it working again. If I'm careful with how far I move the handle, I can use the lathe OK.

There's a long set screw sticking out of the apron where the very top of the A is in this picture. (Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of OUR lathe, and this is the best picture I could find of a 13" tray top.)

Does the set screw serves as a stop for the handle. Should it be screwed all the way in so the end is flush with the surface?

You can't see a set screw on the lathe in the picture. It may be turned all the way in, or it may not be there at all.

If the set screw has nothing to do with the problem, how should I go about getting the threading handle to work correctly?
    Last edited by winchman; 12-11-2012, 06:37 PM.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Take the 4 are 6 bolts out that hold the carriage to the saddle . Pull the screw retainer off the end of the lathe buy taking the collar off the end and undoing the 4 screws and tap it back to disengage the 2 dowel pins and slide it off the 2 shafts. and slide the carriage of and lay on a work bench . Then all will be seen and you can fix it . Will only take 10 minutes to pull of . Been their and done that.
    Last edited by lane; 12-11-2012, 08:47 PM.
    Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
    http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
    http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Thanks.

Wow. That stuff looks heavy. How many people am I going to need to handle that?

As an alternative, could I remove the tailstock, remove the support for the leadscrew and clutch/brake rod, and then move the carriage all the way to the end of the bed so the part I need to work on is visible from the back side?

School is over for the semester, and I don't have anyone to help me with the heavy lifting.

Comment

Sounds to me like the eccentric mechanism is going over center.

A person can find anything on the web!!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/32268172/N...Traytop-Manual

Dave

Comment

Great!! Thanks for the link.

On page 54 I can see how the mechanism works. There's nothing there for the long setscrew to do but limit how far the handle will turn, so screwing it in should fix the problem.

I've got my fingers crossed, and I'll let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by winchman View Post
            As an alternative, could I remove the tailstock, remove the support for the leadscrew and clutch/brake rod, and then move the carriage all the way to the end of the bed so the part I need to work on is visible from the back side?
            Yes, that works.

I lubed the mechanism, and adjusted the setscrew to set the travel of the lower block. Now it's working like it should.

Comment

Working...
            X