Need plans for GEM telescope mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need plans for GEM telescope mount

I've got all the makings for a 6" F8 Newtonian, and would like to make a "really" nice(no wood or pipe) Equatorial mount for it. I've googled and seen some nice work, but no real plans. I can certainly design my own, but...I like to steal other peoples good ideas . Are there some links, websites, or ... have I overlooked something on this site? Seems the ones I check out are all very old or dead. Thanks.

Take a look here Daryl http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea.../0/Board/lxd55

There is a lot of good information on that site and maybe some plans, certainly plenty of ideas!
    John
    Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 12-13-2012, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Many Thanks. That was just the type of forum I was looking for.

Comment

Yeap- come join us in the ATM forum at CloudyNights. Lots of interesting designs in the archives.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...at/0/Board/atm

Also lots of pics (but no plans) at stellafane.org particularly in the convention photos.

allan

Comment

Why f8? That is a rather long focal length for deep sky work but rather short for planetary work.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
            Why f8? That is a rather long focal length for deep sky work but rather short for planetary work.
            My uncle was quite the amateur astronomer many years ago, and he ground a pretty nice 6" mirror in this focal length for me when I was a kid (56 now). I have all the other pieces (good stuff) from that era to complete it, except a decent mount. I think this was a common? all around focal length back in the 60's. I remember drooling over a Cave optical catalog back in the day, and I think I will try to duplicate or come close to their Astrola GEM. Joined the cloudynights and love all the pics and ideas, brought back alot of memories. Thanks.
            Last edited by daryl bane; 12-14-2012, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X