Workshop heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workshop heating

Well had to shoot out this morning straight from home and didn't get back until 1:30 and this was waiting for me on the yard.

The bit covered with the blue tarp. Big pallet 5' x 5' x 8' full of hardwood offcuts from the local furniture place, free of charge and delivered free.

Fired up Lucifer the wood burning stove.

And this is the result 2 hours later.

Bear in mind this is heating two shops, other shop is too far away to get any decent heat and that's only got a couple of machines, all the welding gear and about 4 tonnes of steel stock.

Luverly jubbly.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Old wood-stoves are fascinating. What can you tell us about Lucifer?
    "The Administration does not support blowing up planets." --- Finally some SENSIBLE policy from the Gov!

Comment

Nothing better than wood heat to keep your brass warm!
      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
      country, in easy stages."
      ~ James Madison

Comment

I fired up our wood furnace tonight and had a nice tipple with evening meal and forgot to start the circulating pumps. Remembers about the fourth drinkie in, and rushes into the utility and the gauge is on 130c and its kettling out the security valves! It holds 600L of water in the furnace alone, so thats quite some energy thing going on...
        Circulators on, its back down to 100 within 20 mins of the pumps on and the dampers closed while we all hide in the next room hoping it calms down
        I'm going to have to automate that bit, its obvious the single heatsink radiator that circulates by thermosyphon to stop this sort of thing isn't man enough for the job...
        Wood, brilliant heat output. Got to be careful you don't get too much though...

Comment

I've burnt wood for heat for 40 years, wouldn't be without it!!

My shop is in my basement with an outside entrance, if the power goes out, i can wait, i can still be warm, cook food, dry my clothes, heat water, etc and still be nice and warm regaedless of the cold temps outside. Don't have a "Rusting" problem either.

Comment

I'm glad I live in the tropics, and don't have to worry about that 'heating' stuff.
            72 F (22 C) today in San Antonio.

Comment

That good weather must get awful tiresome after a while.

Comment

Fess up ... how much "stuff" did you have to move in order to find the stove?

Comment

I hope you don't need to use any of that bar stock behind the stove. Might be a bit hot to handle

Comment

Those are being annealed by the time he gets to them they will machine like butter.
                    Michael

Comment

Originally posted by MrFluffy View Post
                      I fired up our wood furnace tonight and had a nice tipple with evening meal and forgot to start the circulating pumps. Remembers about the fourth drinkie in, and rushes into the utility and the gauge is on 130c and its kettling out the security valves! It holds 600L of water in the furnace alone, so thats quite some energy thing going on...
                      Circulators on, its back down to 100 within 20 mins of the pumps on and the dampers closed while we all hide in the next room hoping it calms down
                      I'm going to have to automate that bit, its obvious the single heatsink radiator that circulates by thermosyphon to stop this sort of thing isn't man enough for the job...
                      Wood, brilliant heat output. Got to be careful you don't get too much though...
                      It's not too much wood, it's too much drinkie... still, automation seems like an excellent idea --drinkie or no.

Comment

Oh gosh, and I am just finishing the installation of a AC unit with heat for my garage/shop. Winters are mild here on the Gulf Coast so it should keep me nice and toasty until spring.
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

Make it fit.
                        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Firewood! I gave my 10 year old daughter a tract of forest to manage so when she turns eighteen she will have enough money to buy a car or finance her college, etc.. She is doing all the management regarding wood harvesting no matter what class of wood. She is doing spreadsheets for all the costs and growth expectations, etc.. To the point, I told her I was going to put wood heating in my "new" shop. She just smiles at me and tells me that she will give me a discount on my firewood! Gotta love kids.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

John,

Did you build the wood stove?

Brian
                            OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                              Firewood! I gave my 10 year old daughter a tract of forest to manage so when she turns eighteen she will have enough money to buy a car or finance her college, etc.. She is doing all the management regarding wood harvesting no matter what class of wood. She is doing spreadsheets for all the costs and growth expectations, etc.. To the point, I told her I was going to put wood heating in my "new" shop. She just smiles at me and tells me that she will give me a discount on my firewood! Gotta love kids.
                              I didn't realise there was any money to be made from a stretch of woodland, short of cutting it down and selling it for Crimbo trees
                              Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                              Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                              Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Working...
                              X