advice on moving south bend mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on moving south bend mill

We are getting a South Bend Vertical mill (catalog # M1L 3218) at work, from another shop closing down. Its smaller than a Bridgeport, looking for advice on best place to strap on it to lift it on a trailer or rack truck. It has a round ram, can you strap around that, or should you strap around the knee? Im not sure if a fork lift is available at that shop. I will lower the knee all the way down, and rotate the head if I can. Any other tips or hints would be great. Thanks,
    Craig

Just moved my bridgeport this weekend with the 'ol cherri' picker, and some nylon (3") straps ...the BP has threads for a lifting loop on the ram, and I would assume you would be OK lifting with a strap around the round ram like a cradle....I moved mine by myself.....everyone else was getting ready for X-mas....I guess I will wait to move the lathe....Shawn

Comment

Lowering the knee is a good idea, but just before its all the way down put some blocking under it then crank down until the crank suddenly goes easy, then strap over it with some soft material under the strap so it does not chafe . You can strap around the ram, but strap it in 2 directions front to back and back to front, personally I use chain with pieces of fire hose for chaffing I put the chain inside the hose.

Comment

Thanks guys for the help

Comment

I picked up my dove tailed BP under the ram using blocks of wood on the forks of the truck.Once on the trailer I strapped in an X pattern front to back and side to side to control tipping.I also strapped it low to control fore and aft movement.

Comment

Thank you. Does anyone have a manual for this machine? My search is leaving me with nothing.....

Comment

I have that same machine. That is exactly how I moved mine, several times. Knee cranked down, head inverted, lift with a strap on the ram. I have a manual and parts list for this scanned on my other computer. If you give me a day or tow, I can get it to you. Please remind me if I forget, which I likely will!

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post
                I have that same machine. That is exactly how I moved mine, several times. Knee cranked down, head inverted, lift with a strap on the ram. I have a manual and parts list for this scanned on my other computer. If you give me a day or tow, I can get it to you. Please remind me if I forget, which I likely will!
                That would be great, thank you!

Comment

The move went well, according to the "scale" that they hang off the hoist at the other shop, the machine weighs 1740 lbs.... we strapped it around the ram, inverted the head, lowered the knee, put the table all the way back and strapped it into my work truck, then un-loaded it with our hoist in my shop.

Comment

The manual i seen online calls for grease in the knee and table zerks, and lead screws. Ive always thought way oil was the normal lube for these. Are grease and oil zerks the same? Im thinking about getting an oil gun and using way oil. Any thoughts? Also, any way to clean the grease out without removing the table and knee?

Comment

Originally posted by monkers View Post
                      The manual i seen online calls for grease in the knee and table zerks, and lead screws. Ive always thought way oil was the normal lube for these. Are grease and oil zerks the same? Im thinking about getting an oil gun and using way oil. Any thoughts? Also, any way to clean the grease out without removing the table and knee?
                      I have pulled the table and saddle on my SB mill, because that was pretty much the only way to clean the hardened old grease out. While it was apart I looked at the lube ports for the X dovetails and I think you should stick with grease for the table and knee as advised by the manual. The oil passages split to the top and bottom of the dovetail in such a way that not much oil would make it to the top.

The table leadscrew, on the other hand, is oil lubed. On mine there is a small screw slightly to the left of center down in the middle T slot. There are lines on the front of the table and saddle - line 'em up and drip some way oil in that screw hole. It drips down to a small funnel cut in the top of the leadscrew nut housing. I think (could be wrong) there is a further drain to take it down to the elevating screw.

BTW, it's not that hard to pull the table. On mine you have to take off both L and R hand wheels and collars, then the left hand table bracket - two circlips one inside and one outside retain the bearing and leadscrew in the left hand bracket. Then thread out the leadscrew to the left and pull both right and left table gibs. Table goes off to the right.

Comment

thanks for the info, I would have thought that oil would have found its way better to tight spots than grease would, not sure if my boss will allow me the luxury of pulling the table off.....hes a "good enough" kinda guy....

Comment

Working...
                        X