Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Central Tool and Yuasa measuring instruments: ok stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Tool and Yuasa measuring instruments: ok stuff?

I have a Central Tool run dial indicator for setting the timing on old 2 stroke engines with points (Yamaha RD400). I never used it much, but it seemed to work well. Does Central Tools make decent micrometers, dial indicators etc? Trying to find something decent that's not quite as expensive as Starrett etc. And how about Yuasa? I see their stuff for ok prices from time to time too.

don't know central tool, web site claims made in USA for several items...does anyone know of they actually manufacturer or outsource? Yuasa on the other hand is very high end and expensive....but they make workholding fixtures and tooling not metrology stuff afaik

Comment

Thanks McGyver. I bought my Central Tool dial indicator back in 1984 and it is definitely American made. Not sure if they sold out like everyone else in modern times and are now selling rebranded Chinese junk. But I'm mostly interested in their older, used stuff, not newer, so hopefully I can get some good advice on their micrometers and other instruments. Also, I remember Yuasa batteries in my old Japanese motorcycles when I was a kid. Didn't know they made precision tools, but once in a while I see Yuasa measuring instruments for sale on ebay, so that's why I was asking.

Comment

Yuasa workholding tools are excellent made in Japan tooling. Yuasa was previously sold under the brand name News, which often goes for lower prices as it is a lesser known brand.

Central Tools is a rebrander, earlier tools, such as your dial indicator can be of good quality, comparable to Craftsman and General made in USA tooling. More recent manufacture is rebranded chicom.
        Jim H.

Comment

Yuasa is top knotch stuff,never had any trouble with their product.

Central is a mixture of US and Import,ask what is made where before you buy.However I have owned some of their stuff,indicators mainly.It is only mid range US quality,not the worst and not the best,good for automotive mechanical work,valve adjustment,flywheel clutch housing tram etc.

In the machine shop you would do better with Starrett or Mitutoyo.Finer tolerances,finer feel,finer accuracy,of course with a finer price too $$$
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

If it is the same Yuasa that manuf. rotary tables, they are top notch IMO.
            Max.

Comment

http://www.centraltools.com/about_us.html

Comment

Central Tools made three levels of micrometers, ranging from a pretty lousy "Apprentice" grade to reasonably good tools. Their dial indicators were sold into the automotive market and were OK for that purpose.

Scherr Tumico (a merger of the Geo. Scherr Co. and the Tubular Micrometer Co.) made better quality US measuring tools, near and sometimes equal to B&S, Starrett, Lufkin, etc. These were often sold into the military and practically unused sets can often be found on places like eBay. I believe MSC has since bought the brand, named it Accupro, and badged lower quality Chinese instruments under it.

Comment

I have several older Central mics and have been vrey happy with their accuracy. I also have a bore gage which has held up well and the accuracy is good. I agree with the automotive level and mid range comments although they have served me well over the years in light home shop use.

On the other hand, here in Northern California, I frequent flee markets, garage sales and tool sales. I find good Starrett mics frequently for a very few dollars. In the $5 to $20 range. Most ae in good or better shape and all have been tuned up resulting in first class mics. It seems as though most people don't know much about machinest tools and they are priced resonably. Better bargans that wood working tools.

Comment

Scherr-Tumico (ST Industries) is still around

http://toolcatalog.stindustries.com/

However, Central tool has become somewhat polluted..... There is this:

http://www.centraltools.com/tools.html

And there is the "central machinery" line from Harbor Freight, which is no relation whatever. I think they may even have measuring stuff under that name, don't know, don't want to.

Originally posted by rustydog View Post
                    It seems as though most people don't know much about machinest tools and they are priced resonably. Better bargans that wood working tools.
                    They go both ways.... Some as mentioned, sell for a small amount, even less than is reasonable.

In other cases, people "just know" that this is "very specialized and very expensive stuff, worth a lot". They usually tout how much it is "worth" (whatever that means).....and ask highly inflated prices.
                    Last edited by J Tiers; 12-18-2012, 09:13 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                      Yuasa is top knotch stuff,never had any trouble with their product.
                      +1. I don't own any Yuasa metrology gear, but I've got a rotab and their 4" machinist vise, and they're excellent quality. Made in Japan obviously.
                      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I checked out Central Tools website and they have a "Made in USA" emblem with flag posted above their micrometer listing. So I guess their micrometers haven't been outsourced yet. Although when you click on calipers suddenly the "Made in USA" descriptor disappears. So it looks like a mixed bag there. Interesting to hear about Scherr Tumico, I see their stuff for sale and wasn't sure what to make of it. Thanks to all for the great input.

Comment

I have a Yuasa 1" dial indicator bought in the early 80's that has served me well ever since. I don't know if they still make measuring tools, but the one I have is a good tool.

{edit} Ok, I'm getting senile. It's a Yuasa magnetic indicator HOLDER, the indicator is actually a TeClock. OK, the magnetic indicator holder is a good tool. So is the indicator, but that's a different story.
                          Last edited by Video Man; 12-18-2012, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I have a set (0"-3") of Yuasa .0001" mics.
                            Excellent quality.

I also have a couple of decades old Central items, the above mentioned 2 cycle timing kit and a mag base dial indicator kit.
                            While not of the same quality level as Yuasa, they are good, solid, "shop grade" tools.....leaps and bounds above anything sold by Harbor Freight under their "Central Tools" brand.

Rex
                            Last edited by rode2rouen; 12-18-2012, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Machine View Post
                              I checked out Central Tools website and they have a "Made in USA" emblem with flag posted above their micrometer listing. So I guess their micrometers haven't been outsourced yet.
                              Outsourcing means they don't make it themselves, not what country its made in. If I don't want to say bead blast or paint and send those function to guy down the street, that is also outsourcing.

I'm wondering, because if they outsource and its US made, who's making them?
                              Last edited by Mcgyver; 12-18-2012, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X