X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: gold again being mined at Sutter's Creek, California

http://news.yahoo.com/stream-molten-...051010931.html

" ...
    The last of the state's great mines closed because mining gold proved unprofitable after World War II. But with the price of the metal near historic highs, hovering around $1,700 an ounce (28 grams), the California Mother Lode's first large-scale hard rock gold mining operation in a half-century is coming back to life.

Miners are digging again where their forebears once unearthed riches from eight historic mines that honeycomb Sutter Gold Mining Co.'s holdings about 50 miles (80 kilometres) southeast of Sacramento. Last week, mill superintendent Paul Skinner poured the first thin stream of glowing molten gold into a mould."

Interesting.

Northern Ontario is now in a GOLD Boom. Think there are at least 7 mines reopening.
    My son is a mechanic at a Huge mine operation that will be in production in Jan./13.
    The road into this place is 100 miles long through the bush, and there are 1600 employees there, 1200 building the operation to get it running, and another 400 on site working for contractors that are maintaining the equipment etc.
    Employees are in for 14 days straight , (12 hour days,) then back out for 7 days.
    A geat place for young guys to go to make some BIG $$$.

Comment

Sutter lived in my town here in Germany

He lived here but I don't know if he was born here.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I hear that you can cast a titanium brick, then cover it with gold and pass it off as a gold bar. As long as the gold never gets used for anything, who would know?
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
          I hear that you can cast a titanium brick, then cover it with gold and pass it off as a gold bar. As long as the gold never gets used for anything, who would know?
          Not if anyone has scale to weigh it. Ti is very much lighter than Au.
          ...lew...

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
            Not titanium (which is very light) - tungsten is what's used.

Comment

Here's a coupla links...

http://www.runtogold.com/2010/03/fak...en-gold-found/

Comment

Originally posted by Machine View Post
                Not titanium (which is very light) - tungsten is what's used.
                That has a bit better chance: W spg. 19.3; Au spg 18.88 It would take a
                decent scale and volume measure to tell that. :-)
                ...lew...

Comment

Just to be clear, gold is weighed in TROY onces, about 31 grams. Avourdupois(sp?) ounces of everyday commerce equal about 28 grams. At $1700/oz the difference DOES matter!
                  Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
                    That has a bit better chance: W spg. 19.3; Au spg 18.88 It would take a
                    decent scale and volume measure to tell that. :-)
                    ...lew...
                    Density of gold at room temp = 19.30 gm/cm^3 Density of Tungsten at room temp = 19.25 gm/cm^3

Pretty darned close, that's why it's used.

Comment

I got a better scam.
                      Apparently you can take mild steel, cover it in gold and pass it off as a drill bit!
                      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Machine View Post
                        Density of gold at room temp = 19.30 gm/cm^3 Density of Tungsten at room temp = 19.25 gm/cm^3

Pretty darned close, that's why it's used.
                        I think you got those two swaped?
                        http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/me...ties-d_50.html says
                        Gold 19320
                        Tungsten 19600

And if tungsten is more dense, then an alloy (or just discreat globs) with lighter metal could be used to produce the exact same density as gold.
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons View Post
                          I got a better scam.
                          Apparently you can take mild steel, cover it in gold and pass it off as a drill bit!

My money, TAKE IT. I must have this shiny marvel!
                          "The Administration does not support blowing up planets." --- Finally some SENSIBLE policy from the Gov!

Comment

Sorry, I meant to say tungsten, not titanium. And the gold drill bits- yeah I've been caught in that scam! Had a heck of a time scraping that gold off the fake hss.

Tungsten being heavier than gold by a tad- you would just drill out some of the tu, then fill it with aluminum or steel before plating on the gold.

I don't know what truth there may be to that rumor about faking the bars with tungsten, but it certainly could work. Can you imagine the repercussions if a major stash of 'gold' was found to be faked- can you say s--- hits the fan!

Of course there would be some means of discerning this by checking the resonant frequency of the bars. I would imagine that tungsten would have a higher tensile strength than gold, so it should be possible to 'ring' the bars and thus determine a fake.
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

The idea of a gold plated tungsten brick has a certain appeal. However, how are you actually going to do it?
                              You certainly cant melt and pour it into a mold like a gold ingot. Trying to sinter powdered tungsten into an ingot will probably produce a lower density product than as-cast. Anyway, what kind of sintering press would it take? Buying tungsten block and machining it into an ingot-shaped object would probably be the best bet. Now lets figure out exactly how to gold plate it.
                              Nobody is going to go to this trouble for ONE ingot! And then there is the problem of a buyer. We have a little business here in Ottawa that sells gold ingots-it is called the Royal Canadian Mint. It buys raw gold, mostly from mining companies, and re-refines it to "five nines" purity. They dont get much walk-in trade!
                              Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Working...
                              X