Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Hard-drive clicking

Ok that tells me the End Is Near.

Thing is I am short on $$ so I need to make plans for the impending crash.

I have another hard-drive I can plug in, but no OS. This box is running Vista, and frankly that has always been good enough for what I do.

Now I can always put the other HD in and run Linux but I can't play certain games or use certain CAD programs under Linux even with WINE... Sooo...

Anyone who is NOT Amazon or Ebay still selling Vista? The prices on Amazon are well padded ($200 NIB plus shipping!!), and I am not buying "new in box" software from Ebay.

I was also wondering if there was a way to simply clone the contents of this disk (OS, boot sectors, everything!) over to the other hard drive. Not sure if I should be asking that... even though I own this copy such techniques could lead to "piracy" in the wrong hands.
    "The Administration does not support blowing up planets." --- Finally some SENSIBLE policy from the Gov!

Get windows 7, And more memory, you won't reget it. Windows 7 has some intresting features to make use of all unused ram, cacheing the disk transparently (and agressively, I have 20gigs of my disk cached to ram atm!)
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Cloning the drive is quite normal and proper for situations such as yours. The MS license specifically lets you copy it for recovery purposes. Partition magic will clone your disk. There are linux tools that will do it.

Ghost was the most frequently used by the IT department in several places where I worked.

Copy now, while you still can.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Partiton Magic, got it.

Thank you Dan.
        "The Administration does not support blowing up planets." --- Finally some SENSIBLE policy from the Gov!

Comment

aaand the latest version of Partition Magic does not work with Vista.

Of all the times to run into a Vista roadblock :P

Comment

Sorry about that. I never used vista. PM used to have a "rescue mode" that booted into a DOS-like environment that would let you do a block level copy of the disk.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Hey don't worry about it, maybe it'll help the next person with a question!

Comment

Many of the hard drive companies have free utilities. Seagate and Maxstor (same company really) have a free version of one of the best backup programs (can't remember the name right now but it was very good and included imaging and restoring from an image). I do remember that they did not make it obvious on their web site and it took quite a bit of exploring to find it.

Brian

Comment

If you have access to a linux machine, cloning a harddisk will be very easy, because linux has a built in command that does sector level copying from one drive to the other. But for this to work, both new and old HDD must have 512 byte sectors. Some newer high performance HDD's have sectors much larger than 512 bytes.

Comment

Western Digital seems to have the software I need. Will report back.

Comment

Throw me some money for shipping and I will give you a Vista of your choice......

I even have a hard drive I will let go cheap (new ones are cheap too)...

PM for details and we can talk...

Comment

yes, you can do a sector by sector clone of your old hard drive to the new one, and the computer won't notice.
                        This is assuming your new hard drive is the same size or bigger.

download a free linux-based bootable system like "system rescue CD" and either install that to a CD drive or usb stick. (The instructions will tell you how to make it bootable)

Boot with this new media.

Then use the program GNU Parted to copy the entire hard drive over to the new one.

or you can just type in a dd command such as dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb, or something like that. (There are instructions on the web)

Or if sectors are already starting to go bad you can use dd_rescue

Or you can download any number of free disk cloning programs. But whatever you do, you HAVE to boot off either that CD or USB stick. You can't reliably clone a hard disk while the operating system on it is being run at the same time.

Comment

Download clonezilla live and use it. If you dont know linux well, you don't want to get into messing with dd directly.
                          http://clonezilla.org/

Comment

And a step by step tutorial.
                            http://blog.mediabymrb.com/tutorials...boot-tutorial/

Comment

Originally posted by MrFluffy View Post
                              yeah, I would probably do this if I were u

Comment

Working...
                              X