Speed handle for mill quill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed handle for mill quill

Ok, so you can buy these for not a lot of money, which i did, when it arrived (a non-branded item from a mainstream UK supplier) it wouldn't fit my BP mill, the pin that goes into the index plate was not on the correct radius and clashed rather than fitted into the holes. I contacted the suppliers, who sent me another to try. same issue; their response was although described as for a Bridgeport mill, it's for a bridgeport 'type', well i said mine is a genuine machine, not a clone so it should fit? apparently not necessarily! disillusioned with this reply it went back. i did crib the dimensions first though

I've finally got around to making my own, but with a few tweeks; aside from not fitting, the handle seemed floppy on the one i sent back, so rather than a round bar sliding in a slot which seemed to be piss fit, so i started with square bar.

Second issue that bugged me was the lever had to be pushed away from the machine, this seemed really alien to me and not at all natural, so i've pit the sliding pin below the pivot so the handle is pushed towards the head of the machine.

the ball on the pin was just turned freehand and many trial fits in the lever until satisfactory.

more pics in next post

and fitted to the machine

it works real nice, i tried to use a sprung ball-bearing to retain it like the original in the groove on the index plate, but this didn't work too well as the spring in the handle overcame it when not aligned to a hole, so i reverted to the usual grib screw to hold it in place.

Cheers
    Brian

Comment

NICE! Better then store bought!! But the baby blue has to go. hahaha
      Great finish work too.

Comment

No wonder guys in the UK don't care for BPs. I suppose the other color option is pink? Looks like a baby shower!
        "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
        world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
        country, in easy stages."
        ~ James Madison

Comment

I like the handle and the color of your mill. I'm also color blind.

Comment

Originally posted by goodscrap View Post

and fitted to the machine

Cheers
            Brian

Brian, Try swapping the quill lock round so the lever is on the back.
            I had loads of bother with the weight of the lever dropping and making the quill stiff as it tightened up.

When it's on the back if it falls it stays free.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Nice work,, and i don't really find the colour that offensive.

Comment

Very well done, and I especially like the part of grabbing the needed dimensions before returning parts that won't fit a real Bridgeport, but will somehow magically fit far less standardized clones? Next they'll be telling you it's cause it's a U.K. Add Dick & Shapely built one, and not a U.S. machine. Yours also looks like a much better design, and the parts obviously fit and work far better than what you originally bought.

Pete

Comment

I bought one a while ago, generic model from J&L and it fitted OK on my Bridgy which is a licensed copy by Adcock and Shipley.
                  Did have a bit of a problem later with it when the peening round the ball wore and let the ball pop out.

Big smack with a hammer soon sorted it, I do like it, far better than the fixed lever.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Very nice work!

And I like the reversal of the pivot point so that the unlock motion is a push in rather than a pull out, that seems much more logical and ergonomic in function to me.

Some years ago, after seeing a photo from WWII of a elderly lady friend of ours, which showed her operating a large radial drill press in a tank factory, I replaced the 3 legged feed handle on my drill press, and the speed handle on my Bridgeport clone both with a modified car steering wheel.

In the photo, the radial drill press had a very large steering wheel on the side, she told me it made it very easy to control the advancement of the quill, and to do so precisely.

On mine, I have found I can continue to advance the quill on either machine without having to take my hand off the wheel, by "walking" my fingers up the wheel.

I used wood handled steering wheels with finger notches on the back side, around 14" in diameter, acquired at a flea market for $2 each.
                    It didn't take much work to make an adapter to hold the wheel on to the shaft and get the pin to align with one of the index holes. I also ended up using a set screw to retain the adapter.
                    Steve
                    NRA Life Member

Comment

Steve, I have the same type of wheel on both my mills and like it a lot. I got use to that type of feed while running a P&W jig bore, much nicer than what comes on Bridgeports/clones. I used after market wheels and bolted them to the factory center after removing the handles.

Charlie
                      NMLRA Life Member
                      Lumpsmith

Comment

I removed the extra handles from my 3 handled quill feed wheel. Just got in the way.

This looks really nice, but it only locks in 2 positions? I think I would of made 3 or 4 positions.
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
                          Brian, Try swapping the quill lock round so the lever is on the back.
                          I had loads of bother with the weight of the lever dropping and making the quill stiff as it tightened up.

When it's on the back if it falls it stays free.
                          I put a Neodymium magnet on the bottom quill locknut, holds the Quill lock up a treat I do occasionally have to wipe off the swarf tho.

Comment

Very interesting thread. I am not familiar with this kind of speed handle but I take it that there is a locking mechanism that keeps the quill from moving when the handle is in the proper position. Where is this locking mechanism, in the mill or in the speed handle?
                            Paul A.

Make it fit.
                            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Cheers for the comments guys, as I've not really introduced myself I'll take the barracking on the paint colour as a warm welcome, I chose that colour, but it eneded up lighter than I expected, and is not a good choice unless you like cleaning - which I don't.

Originally posted by Black_Moons View Post
                              I removed the extra handles from my 3 handled quill feed wheel. Just got in the way.

This looks really nice, but it only locks in 2 positions? I think I would of made 3 or 4 positions.
                              On the BP, there is an index plate on the quill feed with 10 or 12 holes, so you just move the handle round, engage the most suitable position for where you're drilling etc.

I'm struggling to get the image below to embed in this post so hopefully will work as a link.
                              http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...lqPksmOKCOImxU

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X