No announcement yet.

working with turcite question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for the pics and desciption of the scrapers- i have not yet scraped anything other than cast iron, and i`m a beginner at that.

i`ll glue a piece down to some scrap and try scraping it before moving to the real thing- that way i can do it in the kitchen where it`s nice and warm...

also, i was planning to use the .015" turcite but if it`s an advantage i can use the .032" instead and just use the .015" stuff for practice - sounds like it might be the safer way to go.

appreciate the input!

Comment

Originally posted by .RC. View Post
      Ahh OK we cannot get the waylock glue down here...
      You know Richard, Phil has a friend in the 'States, and they send stuff back and forth...
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Ahh yes, but we use something else down here to glue Turcite/Bronze on....
        Precision takes time.

Comment

Elmers?

Comment

The udder brand?
            Cheers,
            Gary

Comment

Ahh yes, but we use something else down here to glue Turcite/Bronze on....
              Yah, joking aside, I'm curious -- do you have your own version of Turcite/Rulon/Garlock... Down Under? What epoxy do you use?
              Do you have to stir the epoxy counter-clockwise?
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

tsk tsk Lazlo, you never watched the video did you...
                Precision takes time.

Comment

tsk tsk Lazlo, you never watched the video did you...
                  I did, and I still have it! It's been awhile...

ETA: Just watched it again: you used "Araldite" epoxy, which AFAIK, is an ordinary 2-part epoxy.

Using the boring head on a turret mill for a stirrer is classic!
                  Last edited by lazlo; 12-30-2012, 12:28 AM.

Comment

I have a very interesting chat going on the other popular discussion group....lol under grinding ways ...it should be interesting reading for you...lol

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo View Post
                      ETA: Just watched it again: you used "Araldite" epoxy, which AFAIK, is an ordinary 2-part epoxy.
                      G’day Robert.

It’s not the regular hardware store variety. The one I use is Araldite K-134. Its an industrial version. Far stronger than the regular stuff.

Tech Sheet here. http://www.meury.com.au/uploads/44476809642.pdf

I think we were used K-138 at the scraping class. Its almost as good, a few N/mm lower in Tensile shear strength, but a lot cheaper. Either works. http://www.meury.com.au/uploads/300641072119.pdf

It has no fillers or spacer balls in it, I get around that by installing something an old guy in Sydney showed me about 20 years ago. An interface membrane. You and I would know that as fibre glass fly wire. The really thin one is about 6 thou bond thickness after its pressed into the Turcite somewhat.

I just took a look at the 3M Scotch Weld product that Richard linked too.

Page 3, point 8 of Directions for use.
                      Maximum shear strength is obtained with a 3-5 mil bond line.
                      I take it “mil” means thous? It seems that would benefit from having something to give it that bond / film thickness.

We did find that Industrial Araldite in the States some time ago, for someone on P.M. From memory, the agent wasn’t that responsive to dealing with a small order.

Regards Phil.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo View Post
                        Yah, joking aside, I'm curious -- do you have your own version of Turcite/Rulon/Garlock... Down Under?
                        There’s a plastics company in Sydney called Unasco. They did / do a PTFE product called Unascite. Clearly a name ripped off from Turcite.

I haven’t used it in years, its like the old Turcite A. No bronze it it. I never liked it, and there was always a delay in getting it. They didn’t have it in sheet, They had to skive it off rolls. About 3 – 4 days minimum.

My mate Marko, has his own made by a plastic company in Canada. Its 60% bronze filled. Its seriously a golden / brown colour from the bronze.

But its a minimum order of about $10k to run a batch. That normally last a year or so. He brings it in wide, and cuts to order. In one thickness only 1.6mm.

We can still get fibre reinforced Bakelite. Lots of big East European machines used that. We can also get solid extra hard bronze bearing sheet. That works a treat in some applications.

There’s a new agent for Moglice. Or to be more precise, there’s a new agent for Diamant Plastics GmbH. They make a ****e load more products than just Moglice. When I spoke to them, they had nil stock and only half a clue.

Regards Phil.
                        Originally posted by Richard King View Post
                        I have a very interesting chat going on the other popular discussion group....lol under grinding ways ...it should be interesting reading for you...lol
                        P.S Richard, that’s a bit too cryptic. The boys won’t find it easily. I’d assume you mean the one over at the other place (P.M) in the Southbend forum? Someone has to stop those boys from frosting a freshly ground lathe bed.

Comment

I wrote my friend at Tristar.com and asked him if Rulon 142 can be purchased in Australia

I was afraid I would get booted if I put p.m. in a post.

Comment

I've put links in to PM, and haven't gotten the boot, yet.
                            Harry

Comment

Here is the info for the Australia Rulon 142 Rep.

Good morning Richard,

Please feel free to pass our representation in Australia to your customer.

Baden Prentice
                              General Manager
                              [email protected]

Leigh-Anne Bielby
                              Administration Manager
                              Email: [email protected]

Supply Services Ltd
                              67 Newton St
                              PO Box 4002
                              Mt Maunganui 3116
                              New Zealand

| Richard Cedrone | CEO | TriStar Plastics Corp. | 508.925.7450 |

Comment

Working...
                              X