Pressure Gauge On Shop press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure Gauge On Shop press

I recently got interested in getting a shop press. I see some presses come with a pressure gauge and wondered why is a gauge necessary and how is it used? Thanks Paul

Commercial ones show tonnage of force.
    This of course is a predetermined multiple of the hydralic pressure and the area of the piston

Rich
    Green Bay, WI

Comment

Mine is attached to the top of the cylinder, so reads pressure directly off the hydraulic fluid. I find it useful for bending and straightening. If you know what pressure you were at and need just a little more or want to go back the other way the same amount it will get you closer than a wild guess. With hydraulics there is no feel like on an arbor press so the only way you can tell what it's doing is a gauge.
      Kansas City area

Comment

Although not a technical answer, my air over hydraulic pump and hydraulic press cylinder is equipped with a pressure gauge. When pressing, I check the gauge...when it gets too high I close my eyes, pucker my tailpipe and pray to higher powers...that's what I use the gauge for...

Stuart

Comment

That's one way to increase the capacity of your arbor press!!

I also like the carrying capacity (though I'm not sure the casters are up to it) and fact that pressure chart is hidden behind I beam. LOL

Comment

Working...
          X