OT: My daughter had a tough Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: My daughter had a tough Christmas

This was not a good Christmas for my daughter. On the 24th a fox got her pet rabbit. It managed to chew through the wire on the cage and drag the rabbit off and kill it. On the 25th in the morning her Quarter Horse mare had to be taken in to the Vet hospital and operated on a hind leg. The operation was not successful and the mare had to be put to sleep. She spent the three days of Christmas mostly in tears. She didn't get much over two meters away from me for three days. Nearly broke my heart to see her so heart broken.

Tough on a 10 year old daughter to get smacked like that on any day let alone Christmas.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Wow, poor kid! Do you have a new horse on the way?
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

Comment

Those are tough times for a kid to loose pets/friends.

Back a number of years ago,, my daughter lost a month old foal, the first foal her mare had, then 6 months later the mare had to be put down.

Great for kids to have animals and learn to look after and care for them, but tough to handle things like that.

Comment

All of that would be tough enough on an adult never mind a 10 year old. We still remember losing our last dog over 7 years ago. FWIW? She's got my sympathy.

Pete

Comment

My sympathies - a double whammy like that is most unfair.

My 19-year old had a less miserable result, but it was touch and go. She came back after her term at vet college and asked me, "Where's my snake ?" I'm meant to be taking care of her four foot Burmese Python. It's a lovely tame animal, curls round my neck when I clean out its glass front cage. Left the door open ?

No. I do not make that mistake, unless I sleep walk. There's no way it could have got out. But there was no getting around the fact that it was gone. After five days we'd given up. Under the floorboards somewhere ? Out of the house and off with a fox - we have a lot of them too. Then, it turns up on top of its cage. We were skulking around for a while, I can tell you.

I know your daughter can't have a happy ending like that, but things will get better, especially when she gets another interest, and when you beef up the rabbit cage.
          Richard

Comment

She has other horses and pets but no more rabbits! I hope she doesn't want another one. Maybe I should buy her a lathe. At least the lathe doesn't eat or sh!t when you don't use it.
            How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Clearly, She needs a stronger bunny.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I'm very sorry to hear that Black Forrest.

I know she feels nothing but pain now. Help her to understand that the intense pain she feels will lessen over time.

Comment

BF,
                  Sorry to hear about your daughters loss. My wife and I have had to put several pets down over the years and it is very tough. At her age though, this is just a warm-up for what life holds. She will lose friends and family members in the future and that will make this loss pale in comparison. As the saying goes: Stick around, it gets worse.

A related story.
                  My wife and I were visiting friends a couple of years ago that live 25 miles from us. It was winter time and the forecast was for freezing rain later. I don't mind snow no matter how deep but hate driving in freezing rain.
                  Well, we were celebrating the Christmas season in my buddy's Nascar basement. Periodically, I would go up the steps and look out the door to check the weather. Well, the had a little black mop dog named Gizmo that they had taken in when her daughter moved into an apartment that didn't allow dogs. When we got ready to go, she called Gizmo. No Gizmo, anywhere. And I was the only one that opened the door. We looked at the driveway and could see lots of little paw prints in the snow. The freezing rain was starting but we went looking for the dog. It was midnight in the city of Grand Rapids, not the time to be knocking on doors looking for a dog. We finally gave up looking and headed home on icy roads. I felt terrible. That little mop must have slipped by me when I checked the weather.

I called the next morning and asked if they had found him, and the answer was no. I was so bummed. Then I got a call later in the day saying that they went to the local grocery and asked if they could put up a flyer with a picture of the dog on it. The lady at the courtesy desk looked at the picture and said "my mom picked up that dog late last night on a busy 4 lane road. Dog and humans reunited. Happy, happy.

I just thought I would throw this in to lighten up an otherwise sad thread.

Brian
                  OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                    She has other horses and pets but no more rabbits! I hope she doesn't want another one. Maybe I should buy her a lathe. At least the lathe doesn't eat or sh!t when you don't use it.
                    LOL.

I made the same comment to my wife about her pets (horses among others) and my motorcycle.

Steve

Comment

Blackforest---Your daughter has my sympathy. The world can be a tough place sometimes for any age, but at 10 years old its a rotten thing to have happen.---Brian
                      Brian Rupnow

Comment

I would like to add my 2 cents to the chorus. I am truly sorry for your family. Pets often become family members too. Thanks for sharing.
                        All the Best - Warren

Comment

buy her a cairn terrier!!!! they don't shed, don't drool, don't bark I am on my third the last died at 17 years old. They are the ToTo on the wizard of oz . I only get females. The first two were dark grey to black. My present one is The Red man!!!!! Great loyal, no house breaking problems ( 1-2 weeks) The love of my life! Fred

Comment

My condolences.

There is no love that is not tied to pain sooner or later. But you have to play the game anyway.

doug

Comment

Doug, great saying, i have never heard that statement before, but SO true.

Comment

Working...
                              X