Chuck key compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck key compatibility

I have a 5/8" no name chuck on my drill press. The chuck key is not labeled. I just bought a Jacobs super chuck 16n that is the same 5/8" capacity. The key according to Jacobs is a k4. Both chucks are for a jt3. I don't have all the pieces in the same location at this time or I would check for myself.

Since the chucks are almost identical, would the keys be interchangeable? Any specific measurements that I could take on the keys that I have to confirm that the keys are indeed k4?

Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure there are any standards. A no name chuck may have different hole diameter or different number/size of the teeth.

Comment

I think there's no way of knowing without actually testing the fit of the key in your new chuck. While Jacobs is definitely somewhat of a "standard" and there are lots of clones floating around there are also a lot of b*stard sizes out there that aren't compatible with anything but themselves...
      Keith

Comment

AFAIK there is NO compatibility standard.......

I have Jacobs and Cushman drill chucks (quite a few) and even within Jacobs I think the key for a given general size isn't always the same. Between the Jacobs and Cushman it is even more different.

Similar size "pinions" may have different "noses".......

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

I have had drill chucks where the outer collar with the teeth had to be pressed on a little more in order to engage the teeth on the chuck key properly. As these are a press fit, if a collar doesn't have enough interference with the body, the chuck key may push it up a little bit over time. I have seen new ones that just weren't pressed on far enough to begin with. Normally if the pin is a close slip fit with the hole in the chuck, then it's the right key. Not always, but the first thing to do is find one that the pin fits.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
            I have had drill chucks where the outer collar with the teeth had to be pressed on a little more in order to engage the teeth on the chuck key properly. As these are a press fit, if a collar doesn't have enough interference with the body, the chuck key may push it up a little bit over time. I have seen new ones that just weren't pressed on far enough to begin with. Normally if the pin is a close slip fit with the hole in the chuck, then it's the right key. Not always, but the first thing to do is find one that the pin fits.
            I have a couple Jacobs chucks where the sleeve needs to be pressed down a bit to get a good fit to the key. Also have a few no name chucks of the same size and the keys interchange, I guess it's the loose tolerances that make them all compatible.

JL..............

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
              I have a couple Jacobs chucks where the sleeve needs to be pressed down a bit to get a good fit to the key.
              Same here.
              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Then new k4 key it is. Thanks

Comment

I have a HF drill press with a 5/8" chuck and it uses the same key as my super chuck.
                  Craftsman 101.07403
                  Grizzly G0704
                  4x6 Bandsaw

Comment

Just noticed that the key that came with one of my el cheapo chucks is exactly the same in every detail as the key that came with my Jacobs.
                    I'll bet that all these off brand chuck makers buy the keys from some one, like Jacobs, if they make there keys and design there chuck to fit the key.

JL..............

Comment

Saw a k4 chuck key today. Not even close in size to the Asian chuck key for the Asian 5/8" chuck. Ordered a new jacobs k4 key today so that everything works well. Thanks for the help to everyone.

Comment

I have well over a dozen keys that will not fit any of the dozen chucks that I have. I hold on to them anyway hopeing that someday I will find them a job.

Comment

There are literally hundreds, probably thousands of different chuck keys. Some, which are not exactly identical, will fit other sized chucks well enough to work to some degree. Some are a loose fit from the beginning.

If it did not come with the chuck from the manufacturer, then there is no way of knowing if it will fit except to try it.
                          Paul A.

Make it fit.
                          You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Buy a good keyless chuck = no "key" problems.

Comment

There's a couple different sizes of these floating around:

http://www.harborfreight.com/four-wa...-key-1745.html

Comment

Working...
                              X