What not to do with a big round bale of hay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What not to do with a big round bale of hay

Today I had a delivery of hay and straw. The round bales weigh around 1000 lbs. As I unloaded the first bale from the trailer it pulled the bale next to it off the trailer also. No big deal I thought. UNTIL the bale hit the ground and started rolling and rolling and rolling hit a decorative wagon turned and went down a stone staircased terrace garden and promply landed on the hood of a car that belonged to a friend that is visiting for a few days. The hood is crashed, the fender is smashed and the passenger door won't open. I went inside to tell the man and everyone was just sitting down to lunch. I told him and his response was, "Anyone hurt?" I told him no and he said OK we look at it after lunch. After lunch we go out and he looks and said yes it is smashed but I can drive it home. No problem. Lets go back inside and have desert! Of course I apologized and he just blew it off and said either insurance will pay or you will so no reason to get nervous. Good guy I think. His wife asked me if I could drop a few more on the car because she doesn't like the car! Now my wife was not at all so understanding of the plants and such that got run over! Go figure!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Can you do it again and make a video?
    Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
      My daughter said to me quietly, "Too bad you didn't have your video camera with you."

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Hay today gone tomorrow.
        (C B)
        MBB

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
          that was funny. I suppose the answer is no though, the man is full and couldn't eat another bite
          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

BF,

Bummer for you. At least no one was hurt, the rest is small stuff.

I just saw a picture in a newspaper of a lady un-winding a round bale behind her truck. There was a whole herd of cattle lined up along the trail eating it. That was the first time that I have seen them used like that.

Brian
            OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
              My daughter said to me quietly, "Too bad you didn't have your video camera with you."
              That would have made a very good YouTube addition.

Glad no one was hurt as stuff can be replaced. Not so easy with people & other animals.

Comment

Who unloads hay on a hill side any way?

Comment

What a way to finish 2012, some party trick, What did you say "I'll bring the hay". Happy New Year BF hope 2013 goes smoother.
                  Alan

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                    Who unloads hay on a hill side any way?

Maybe its a German thing.

Comment

Another "not to do" is when tipping them off the back of the truck, make sure there isn't a loop of string loose enough to put your foot into. If you make this mistake, do it on a day when the ground is wet and soft so when the bale body slams you into the pasture you remain uninjured and just think it was funny.

Sorry, no video of that either.

Steve

Comment

Who unloads hay on a hill!!! Anyone who has too! When the big rig pulls in with the hay they park on the road that comes into our place. Then I come with the frontloader and unload the trailers. There is a slight bank leading up to the road that I must drive up to get to the trailers. The road is level but not the side where I unload from. Quite normal here. I was in a hurry and as usual when you hurry things go wrong. I am just happy that no one was standing when this bale went off the terrace. Tomorrow I will get a picture of the place.

Actually I had told the wife to ask her husband to move the car as it was not parked in our parking area but in the area in front of the house. When the bale hit the car I thought, "I told them to move the car!" Later when the husband was not with me the wife came up and thanked me for not telling her husband I had told her to have the car moved.

Comment

Lucky. I'm glad it worked out well, nice to see your friend was very understanding.

When I saw the title of your thread it reminded me of an incident that happened locally a few years ago.
                          A man in his early 20's with a new family had a 2000 pounder of alfalfa roll off a wagon pinning him against a fence. He died at the scene. Just before Christmas as well, very tragic.

Be careful out there, life is fragile at best.
                          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Here is a picture of where it happened. This was just after I built the wall. The truck and trailers were parked on the road above. You can just see the slight incline up to the road. The bale fell and then rolled down over the stones onto the car that was parked there.

Comment

I'm sure you did the right thing for your friend and paid for all the damages ...

Comment

Working...
                              X