Carriage stop works great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carriage stop works great

Man, after using it, I can't believe I was machining before without it, my first 2 wheels can attest to it's functionality.

Here is my wheel arbor I made out of brass for turning the wheels, again the carriage stop was VERY helpful, as was turning to a shoulder for the flange of the wheels.

Comment

My first thought was, "Man, that's a BIG flashlight!!"

Looks good. How will you attach the wheels to the axle?

Roger
      Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Ops!

Comment

Bill
          What gauge of loco and type are you building?

Comment

Looking good Bill.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

1" to the foot, roughly. The track gauge is 4.75" apart. Seams that who ever started the live steam hobby never scaled exactly from standard guage.

I will be using loctite to hold the wheels to the axles. The axle you see in the pic is an older scrap one.

Comment

Nice work Bill ! Do you run this stuff outdoors or do you have a BIG basement?

I'm still trying to figure out where to put my N gauge stuff now that the machines have taken over.

Have you ever thought of shrink fitting the wheels on like their full sized brethren?
                Den

Comment

Nheng, I will run it outdoors at various clubs around the country. Standard procedures in live steam have been to either press fit the wheels onto the axles or more recently use a certain type of loctite. On the drivers you would also key the shafts or drill them for a pin.
                  Some people will shrink fit a steel tire onto a wheel center, however not heard of the wheel to the axle. Im just following Kozo's book.

Comment

Working...
                  X