Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do with large precision bearing

so, i happen to own a 7024A5TSULP4.

i tried to sell it on ebay for months, while others asked up to 1000 bucks, i had no takers for 300.

is there anything intelligent, i can do with it? any ideas?

last night, after having drunk too much, i have been dreaming of a cat head and preloading the bearing with several smaller ones. but when i woke up, the concept was gone.

any ideas?

Tram your mill with it?

Comment

Originally posted by GNM109 View Post
      Tram your mill with it?
      Now that's a good idea. I have several monster sized bearings I picked up along with the 2 pillow block bearings I was after at an estate sale/auction.

Comment

Originally Posted by GNM109
        Tram your mill with it?

Originally posted by Dr Stan View Post
        Now that's a good idea. I have several monster sized bearings I picked up along with the 2 pillow block bearings I was after at an estate sale/auction.
        The large bearings are great for us home machinist types because they are incredibly well made. I didn't have a bearing but I got a spare front brake rotor for a Dodge Dakota that I bought for a repair but turned out not to be needed. I decided to keep it. I roughed out a piece of aluminum to hold a 1/2" shaft for the spindle end and a 1/4" hole for my old Federal .0005 indicator with set screws. It rides on the rotor and does a good job. I've also used my DTI and my coax at various times.

Comment

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&suge...w=1920&bih=818

Comment

have there been any completed sales? What do they sell new for, what do they sell OEM for? (can be 1/4 of retail)

If others are asking 1000 and that number passes the smell test, ask say 800. On less common items its a matter of having your listing up constantly until some comes along searching for that item. If no one's in the market that week doesn't matter if its 1000, 800 or 50. Might take a lot months but that money will be a lot of tools vs say making a rotating welding table.

Comment

Perhaps do a bit of research and see if you can find what applications the bearing was originally intended for. Once you know that you may be able to focus your sales attempts at a more receptive market that is more willing to spend the money for a spare part that they normally would not buy.
              It could be a good deal for both you and the purchaser.
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

That would make a dandy bearing steady!

Comment

Yep, +1 for JKing's suggestion. That exact image was the first thing to come to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by j king View Post
                    That would make a dandy bearing steady!
                    I don't think it would.......

Aren't those mostly made with either TWO bearings, OR a double row...... the single row are kinda unstable.

I had a double row version which I foolishly gave to the father-in-law (he was doing gun work then), and then he went and sold it with another lathe..... so now I can't borrow it when I need it.

Rather than being a full self-standing one, it fit in the existing steady

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Not to thread jack, but what kind of advantages does that single bearing steady have over a regular steady with bearings on the ends of the fingers.

Comment

Since you have a 7000 series bearing, it is an angular contact bearing and requires another bearing of equal precision so they can preload each other. Most times this is done with another bearing of the same size, but then the bearings are marked with a DUL (for dual or pair, or TUL for three, or QUL for four) instead of SUL (single bearing) in the part no. Apparently the orginal application of your bearing used a different size bearing to preload it, or some other means of obtaining the required preload.

Preload is necessary with these bearings to take up all internal clearances, so as to obtain the very low rated runout and thrust specs.

Whether of not the bearing is new will have a big impact on the value of the bearing - is yours in a factory sealed pouch? It is all too easy for someone to replace a bearing and then put the old one in the box the new one came in (logical choice to keep it clean or protect it from damage). But someone else may later obtain the bearing, look at it, and decide it is new. For this reason, it is very hard to know if a bearing from someone selling it on a place like ebay is truly a new bearing or not unless it is in a factory sealed pouch - and it does not come with any sort of guarantee like one purchased from a first line distributor.

Normally, there is a large cost associated with replacing bearings like this, so the buyer is less likely to take a chance of a bearing of unknown origin, which impacts the resale value....

And then, particulary on ebay, the vast majority of buyers have no clue what your bearing is anyway....
                        TexasTurnado

Comment

"Not to thread jack, but what kind of advantages does that single bearing steady have over a regular steady with bearings on the ends of the fingers."

You can run it on something with a key way,out of round,soft ,tapered,polished,square bar ect...... Jim
                          Last edited by j king; 01-01-2013, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Start it for $10 and let it sell for what it does. No since ruining it using it to tram a mill or something. Thats a job for an old bearing, not a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by j king View Post
                              You can run it on something with a key way,out of round,soft ,tapered,polished,square bar ect...... Jim
                              That makes sense, thanks. I was thinking in the box.

Comment

Working...
                              X