5C to Cat30 adaptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5C to Cat30 adaptor

I was thinking of buying a Spindexer from Ebay and would like to know has anyone come across an adapter from the 5C collets to Cat 30 , the reason being I have a lot of different Cat 30 collet chucks and dont want to buy a lot of collets which will only sit on a shelf for most of the time unless i am grinding tooling which already fits the ER and DA tooling that I already have heaps of .
    Michael

You might take a look at John Stevenson's 5C to ER 32 adapter.
    http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...Collet-Adaptor
    this installed in a 5C spindex then uses ER 32 collets.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Comment

The 5C collets are too small to make a 5C OD to Cat 30 ID without it hanging out several inches. The ER 32 idea is probably the best way to go.
      Kansas City area

Comment

That is a possibility but I will still require something to cover the sizes which the ER series doesnt.

Might look at a piece of 2.5'' round and machine an adaptor to allow the use of Cat30 tooling
        I wouldnt bother hardening it as the occasional use wouldn't warrant the hassle of heat treatment.

Michael

Comment

Mike4, I have one of those 5C x ER32 adaptors if it solves your problem, brand new unused, bought it 5 or so years ago. PM me or r-j-wardATbigpond.com

Pull your chairs around boys and girls, this reminds me of a story about the slackos at Australian machinery sellers Hare and Forbes who unfortunately have the market here almost to themselves.

I wanted to be able to use my milling machine's ER32 collets in my 14 x 40 lathe, (5MT headstock) from time to time. From H&F I bought their 5MT x 5C adaptor, from ArcEuro I bought the 5C x ER32 adaptor. Problem was that the ArcEuro item would not fit into the H&F adaptor. Did some measuring and ArcEuro was bang on spec for size, H&F was undersize, I forget the numbers now but it was around 1 thou too small. Not entirely trusting my measuring skills at that time I got a second opinion at a machine shop near work and they concurred with my sizes.

So the 5MT x 5C adaptor and draw tube went back to H&F, no problems getting a credit etc. Weird thing was, and this was from management, there was not the slightest bit of interest in the fact that they were stocking and selling stuff that was not to standard. Their 5C collets they told me fit into their 5C adaptors and that was the limit of their concern. Sigh!

After that little episode it dawned that I did not need to use 2 adaptors to achieve my purpose, I could make a 5MT x ER32 adaptor and draw tube, which is what I did, hence I still have an unused 5C x ER32 adaptor.

Comment

I can't think why there would be a 5C to Cat30.

5C is a work holding collet, Cat30 would be a tool holder.

Comment

I have several drawers of DA, ER, and other collets already ,I see absolutely no reason to purchase a batch of tooling which I possibly will never use .
              The Cat30 tools which I have are already able to hold morse tapers of 1,2,3,4, DA100,DA180,ER25,ER16ER32.

These will allow me to hold drills ,end mills ,round parts,slitting saws, etc .
              To sharpen any thing it doesnt care if it is held in a work holder or a tool holder.
              The Spindexer is loosing some of its appeal to me as if I purchase it for around $140-$180 ,pay postage of $90+ then have to buy some extra stuff to be able to use it ,getting expensive for something that will have light use, just for sharpening not much else.

Thanks for all of the replies , Bob , I will PM you about the adaptor .

Michael

Comment

5C to CAT30? I'm pretty sure you have to make your own. Just requires extensive lathe work and some milling.
                Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

I have the equipment and know how to make it but there is one problem , no time spare to make something for myself.
                  It may have to sit on the things to list for a while.
                  Michael

Comment

I have made a 4Mt to ISO30 adapter but as others say it sticks out a mile...

Precision takes time.

Comment

RC , good work , now I wiil have to make one to see if it compares to your standard.
                      Thanks to all who have replied , these times are what makes this forum interesting.
                      Now where is that 60mmbar?

Michael

Comment

Since CAT30 is a steeper taper you could just make an adapter ring similar to a 5C collet nose south bend or logan. You would have to come up with a drawbar, but that shouldn't be anything more than a piece of 1/2" all thread, nut, and a stepped washer. Of course that will mean you need to pull the draw stud out if you use them.

No milling required. You dont need the drive dogs. I dont use them on my mill and I have never had a tool hold slip. No way will one slip in a spindexer.

Comment

macona, I would prefer to have the drive dogs as it makes repeated alignment a bit easier, if I want to put something back into a chuck or spindle i mark it what it is mounted in with a marker then check with a gauge after refitting.
                          Thanks again to all who have responded .
                          Michael

Comment

Working...
                          X