non cnc plasma tracer (new)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non cnc plasma tracer (new)

hi all, im new to this forum, but have had a look in a few times in past year or so. Im not trying to sell anything, but i have designed and built a prototype plasma cutter tracer for artists and fabricators alike, using only a cheap berlan from ebay and pt31 torch,and would like any feedback as i may put it into prodution or just sell the plans in the near future. thanks for looking, hope to hear some of your thoughts. Here are some of the items i have cut with it. These are not cut with a cnc machine,or have any motoriside parts or any elastictrickery apart from the torch itself. they are all on a4 paper, but the machine table has a work area of 800mm X 800mm.

yes it is a pantograph of sorts, it has a shoulder and elbow pivot that swings around a support turret like the old 'torchmate', and the 'rotten leonard' but that is where the similarity ends. one important thing i forgot to mention is that you don't need a pre cut pattern to trace around, all you need is a drawing!!
    Last edited by davejavu; 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM.

bump

(Had problems with his first post making it through the filters.)
    George

Comment

thanks again George for sorting that out so quickly!

Comment

What a suck up Dave. Cutting out a picture of George and posting it here.
        How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Welcome Dave!
          And BF your just mad cause he thought of it first! Looking good there George!
          Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
          What a suck up Dave. Cutting out a picture of George and posting it here.
          "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
          world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
          country, in easy stages."
          ~ James Madison

Comment

yeah sorry bout that, but to get anywhere in this world you gotta suck something

Comment

thanks for the welcome flylo, and thanks for taking the time to view my thread. im very keen to hear any views on my idea and if cut is clean enough?

Comment

Originally posted by davejavu View Post
                yes it is a pantograph of sorts, it has a shoulder and elbow pivot that swings around a support turret like the old 'torchmate', and the 'rotten leonard' but that is where the similarity ends. one important thing i forgot to mention is that you don't need a pre cut pattern to trace around, all you need is a drawing!!
                We need pictures of the machine! That is exactly the kind of thing I'd like to do with my plasma cutter. So far I've been using stencils made on my jigsaw.

Comment

believe me i would love to show you the machine, but its been a while in development getting the right combination of ideas to work correctly together, and as its still only in prototype stage with no patent as yet, i'd be a fool to let the world and his daughter in on it. Im sure you can understand my secrecy. what i can tell you is its a very simple idea with few moving parts and easy to use (i'm by no means an artist) but the picture of marilyn i just printed from internet, then 10 minutes later she was done. i would say you could make around five copies of it from the same printout,then just reprint and youre away again. you can also use a pre cut template if you wish to make many repeated parts.

Comment

Can you upsize/downsize with this contraption, or is it strictly 1:1 ratio of pattern to cut. Seems very interesting!
                    Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)

Comment

i suppose you could upsize/downsize with the addition of a drawing pantogrph, but everyone has a printer for re sizing nowadays so shouldnt need one. hope this helps!

dave

Comment

Originally posted by davejavu View Post
                        believe me i would love to show you the machine, but its been a while in development getting the right combination of ideas to work correctly together, and as its still only in prototype stage with no patent as yet, i'd be a fool to let the world and his daughter in on it. Im sure you can understand my secrecy.
                        Yah - understood. You confused me with the "not trying to sell anything" part.

Comment

So the machine won't autotrace but instead is a manual device?
                          Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaakko Fagerlund View Post
                            So the machine won't autotrace but instead is a manual device?
                            correct, but it is a very well balanced machine, and the method of tracing is very simple to use.

Comment

Working...
                            X