patternmakers vice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• patternmakers vice

I just made ( almost finished) my long awaited woodworking bench and after buying the copy patternmakers vice from Taiwan which I am pleased with ( it holds just like, and is an exact copy of the small emmert)for a fraction of the price.
    I fitted a nice wilton vice to the end as an end vice,which I bought new from the states and had shipped over a few years back and never yet used it, as I am As said long overdue with getting this bench designed and made. I am over the moon now it is finally nearing completion.I wondered if any was aware of the twin screw veritas vice and with so much readily available hardware around how difficult this would be to make at home yourself.It is basically two screws seperated by about a foot or so driven by a couple of cogs one to the end of each screw and a chain between then driven quite easily by one hand.I am sure this thread will have some fine comments as I personally think the many ,many devices some good others not worth a toss made by veritas and very highly priced IMHO they seem to add brass to everything and ask for ten times it's real value,again IMHO for what that's worth Please let me know.KIndest regards Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

I've not done it myself but I've thought the twin screw was a great idea to maintain parallelism and wouldn't be that hard to do. It shouldn't even take extraordinary machining skills, but any competent mechanic ought to be able to forage components, do maybe a modicum of modifications and assemble a very good vise.

Nice to hear that your bench is coming together the way you want it and you're happy with it.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

I think it's better if the vise can adjust for a small lack of parallelism in a board. Not in a gross way like the Emmert, but just enuf give to make sure it is holding out to both ends, as you would with the screw in the center. Plus I'd make the moveable jaw just a bit concave for the same reason.

How long is your bench, how many vises can you fit? I made an 8 footer 30 years ago in the Ulmia pattern, with a big Emmert on one end and a traditional tail vise on the other. Best of all - it's left handed, only one I've ever seen.

Make your self a "dummy apprentice" to hold the ends of long boards that you work on.
      Last edited by dixdance; 01-12-2013, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Alistair Hosie, I'd love to see some pics of your bench. What style did you end up with?

You can get the Moxon vise as a nice kit with everything you would need from BenchCrafted, or... you could cobble the parts together. They are supposed to be the bees knees these days. Have heard the clamping action is a dream... check out the videos too.
        Last edited by caveBob; 01-12-2013, 05:50 PM. Reason: add a linky

Comment

Alistair, back a few years ago the magazine "Fine Woodworking" published an excellent book about benches, Titled :
          "The Workbench Book" by Scott Landis. ( Taunton Press, Newtown, Connecticut, USA)

Page # 133, there is an article on the shop made vise, just what you are looking for.
          (Dino Ciabattari was the builder of this vise)

Maybe you can locate the article through their archives?

Yes, post a pic of your'e bench when you have it finished.

Comment

Alstair, the Veritas vice does correct for "mild" non-parallelism in the way it was designed. Also, from a close look at it, it is not particularly over-priced. It is when you pay the SHIPPING that it hurts. Anyway, if you bought a Wilton, how can you possibly complain about the cost of a Veritas? Incidentally, the Veritas alternative to an Emmert is considered by many to be an excellent vise.
            While Leonard Lee has produced a lot of tools under the Veritas label, most of them are good value. As far as the brass, consider this:- limited production runs are very cost-effective using brass; it does not dull tools very fast, it finishes beautifully, giving nice "bling" that also does not rust, and it produced LOTS of cheap bar-ends for my projects, (I bought it at scrap prices from the "sale" table.)
            Veritas hand planes are considered to be among the best available anywhere. (why anyone would use a handplane WITHOUT an electrical cord is beyond me! )
            Leonard took his operation from a mail-order on the kitchen table to nation-wide stores, two factories and 800 employees in 25 years while making a WHACK of money, so the stuff CANT be to bad!
            Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Just so that everybody knows what a Pattern-maker's Vise is:

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=pa...2&ved=0CC0QsAQ

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&suge...pw.r_qf.&cad=b

Comment

Surely a patternmakers vise would be made of wood so he could get a casting made from it ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Very good it needs a little bit of work yet then varnishing. I just made the base out of pine and the top is made from veneered 25mm mdf fitted with ash edging the new vices are wonderful and I am very pleased will post a few pics during the week but I have not used photobucket for a good few years now.I do like veritas vices sorry but I actually meant to say that some of the things they make are to my mind expensive IMHO thanks for the answers guys so far.I got a negative report re the twin screw vice on a woodworking site I am on,I think regarding lining up to close it. I hope you like my efforts. Alistair

Comment

Actually John from what I gather hardly anyone uses wood for patternmaking these days as it's mostly done with computer cad and plastic/nylon.Correct me if I am wrong. LOve you guys but couldn't eat a whole one.Alistair

Comment

Working...
                    X