A square hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A square hole

I wanted a 1/2" x 1/2" square hole near the center of a 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 1/8" piece of steel. I drilled a 1/2" hole then filed the square.

The part is a 'washer' that captures the square bit of a carriage bolt. Once inlet into wood, the square washer won't turn.

I'm glad I only had to make two; I only have a fine triangular file.

How would you make this?

Adept hand powered shaper

Comment

I would have probably made it the same way. Maybe used a small endmill to take out a little more material, but that would have depended how accurate I wanted it to be.

Comment

A square broach is the easy way. You just drill or bore a hole slightly over .500 and push the broach through. The broaching part takes less than a minute.
        With an 1/8" piece of material you could mill the square with a 1/8" or 1/16" end mill and only have to file the tiny remaining corners.

Comment

Think of a 12 point socket, or in this case, an 8 point. You can make the hole quite a bit bigger than 1/2" then just nick out the corners to fit. Still plenty of grip. I'll also, sometimes, get real close with a file, then hammer through the appropriate sized lathe tool bit, sharpened at a low angle to take out one corner at a time. Low tech but pretty fast results.
          I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

There is a drill bit to drill a square hole. I have tried to attach a link but my PC is not letting me. You may be able to find a video of it on youtube.

Comment

I'd make it the same way I'd make a long square hole. I'd cut the 'top' off, mill the square in the large piece and weld the top back on.

Well, for a long square hole I might bolt the top back on if there was enough meat there, but I think you get my drift.

To make a nice wooden handled crank for the 1/2" square peg for my mill vice I bent some 1/16th into a square profile, welded it up, and welded in into a circular hole in the web of the crank. You can do a lot of nice construction work with TIG. The grinder is your friend.
              Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Look for a square rat-tail file. A 3/8 square would be good for a 1/2 inch hole. Sometimes they are hard to find, but then when you already have one you see them everywhere
                I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

file for sure, its only 1/8" thick and 1/2 is big enough to get at it....should be only a few minutes work....if you're finding it really tedious maybe you need some coarser files to roug out with?

I wouldn't hammer lathe tool bits, hss can shatter and it'll make a mess of your hammer

Comment

3/8 or 7/16 drill plus 1/8 end mill plus file the rest

Comment

I would have drilled it!

That's the ONLY size watts drill I have at the moment.....

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Starting with a round hole and inserting a "square hole sleeve" has made a number of boring bars for me.

Dave

Comment

Do you realize that you can buy these type washers? Maybe you had a specific need that these wouldn't fit, but there are options out there...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#carriage-bolt-washers/=l5le44

Comment

I drill four small holes for the corners then one bigger drill in the middle then there is really not much left to tidy with a file. The work has to be well clamped to avoid holes wandering into each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ennis View Post
                              I wanted a 1/2" x 1/2" square hole near the center of a 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 1/8" piece of steel. the square.
                              How would you make this?
                              Iron Worker with a 1/2 inch square punch.

Comment

Working...
                              X