ornamental lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few more pix:

The outside ring here is 17 repeats in 10 revolutions. The middle ring is 17 in 2. The inner ring is 17 in 5.

Using hole plates from an indexing head, I can create spiral patterns.

Another spiral.

A series of 12 / 1 patterns, with the cutter about 1/16" or so above center.

To say the least, I've been have a lot of fun with this. I've also made some wood pieces, including my version of the architectural rosette. We are just finishing construction on a storage/barn building with a "play room" and I made rosettes for the windows and doors. I'll get some pix of these in a day or two.

I don't really know what to call this rig. A rose engine takes it's name from the rosettes that define the patterns being cut. Mine doesn't have rosettes. When I look up "art lathe" I get mainly references to glass working lathes...a whole 'nother thing altogether. So far the best term I can think of for it is "Ornamental Lathe" or "Ornamental Engine".

Comment

Very cool. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of the lathe. I've started working on a design, but ordering the parts for it is a long way off.

Comment

Here's a nice video on a geared rose engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XDIonkwTRo

Comment

I was at a book fair some years ago, on the stand were copies of a book called Ornamental turning, it was a recent print and it was by Holtzapfell ( however you spell it), I'm sorry I didn't grab a couple of copies now, there were 2 volumes so you can still get reprints
          Marks (old biker) work is amazing, I love the patterns
          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by elf View Post
            Here's a nice video on a geared rose engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XDIonkwTRo
            Thanks for the link. I've looked at a lot of the videos on his website, but that one escaped me. That's an interesting add-on to a traditional rose engine. Something very similar to that was one of my earliest designs, that never got beyond the sketches & notes phase. What I'm trying to do is build a device that can be bolted to the bed of nearly any wood lathe and, with minimal machining and no modification to the lathe, produce rose engine-like work, if not work that goes beyond the capabilities of traditional rose engines. I'm nearly there. I think my next build will be much more practical and workable. The current machine is a mix of planned structure covered in fixes, patches and modifications. It's more of a "hey, what if I did this, and drilled a hole in that" than a planned arrangement.

Comment

I for one would love to see the thing warts an all but if your thinking of developing it into a product then keep it under wraps the last thing you want is your idea appearing all over the place!, I saw a thing called a router lathe ( trend used to sell one, they stopped and you can't get one anymore, I've tried)
              These are still in demand so a geometric attatchment for wood turners would definitely sell, I'd buy one!
              If it can be tweaked for spindle work it would be a winner
              Mark

Comment

I'll get some pix, but ya gotta be patient. The machine is currently in a corner of the "clean room" and there's barely room to work, much less get decent pix. I can get it through the door and into the shop for better light and better pix, but not now...there's too much stuff in the way right there at the door. We have our storage building finished now, and I'm in the midst of re-organizing (yet again!) and taking stuff out of the shop that I don't need on a day-to-day basis. This includes the unit of shelves that prevent me from opening the clean room door all the way.

I've given a lot of thought to how to handle publicizing / monetizing this. My current thinking is to simply put it in the public domain, show people how to make it and how to do it, then sit back and enjoy all the improvements others make on my design. I definitely am NOT going to pursue a patent, then spend the rest of my life (I'm 65 now) trying to recoup that investment and trying to protect it.

I'm going as fast as I can on this, guys, but cut me some slack; it's late, I need to have a shower, then a drink or two.

Comment

Working...
                X