Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Defeating safety switches on newer lawn tractors (seat, reverse, blade, etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe, that is a sweet old tractor -- I would just about give the $2000 theyre asking for that Cub to get one of those new! Aptly named...

I WILL find a way to defeat the seat and reverse switches, as several have mentioned, they are a pain. I might can put up with others - but then, who knows what has been put on the latest ones, maybe just as big a pain. Now I just gotta find the funds and choose a make/model...
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Bypassed the SWITCHES?

Where's Tiffie?

Ok.... DON'T YOU KNOW HO DANGEROUS THAT IS?

They didn't put those switches on because they wanted to spend more money, you know....... it's to keep you protected and safe! If you bypass them, your insurance company will come out and serve you with papers nullifying your insurance.

OK back to reality....

I've bypassed nearly every one of the &^%$#@! things I have.... the most of them have screwed up and been the cause of no-starts and the like.... If you have any sense they do no good and may cause harm when folks forget that the devices the protective switches are on are dangerous.

still have the blade brake on the mowers though, easier to leave it on, and it hasn't fouled up yet.... 28 years so far on one of them....
      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pace View Post
        I'm going to have to get a new riding lawn tractor this year, my 20 year old Yard Man is showing its age.
        What only 20 years old and you are thinking of getting rid of it??? Why you have just barely worn the newness off it. Below is my Massey Ferguson, I’m not sure of its exact age as I bought it used but it’s around 60. It is now on its fourth engine and over the years I have done a few repairs to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Scientist View Post
          What only 20 years old and you are thinking of getting rid of it??? Why you have just barely worn the newness off it. Below is my Massey Ferguson, I’m not sure of its exact age as I bought it used but it’s around 60. It is now on its fourth engine and over the years I have done a few repairs to it.
          Yeash, I can tell its 60 due to the paint job. Never let a hippy paint your tractor! :P
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons View Post
            Yeash, I can tell its 60 due to the paint job. Never let a hippy paint your tractor! :P
            LOL

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

My Jon Deere is 25 this year. The only safety switch it had was a seat switch that would kill the engine if the blades were engaged and you lifted your butt. Oh, and you can't start it in gear. I've not bypassed these, they aren't much of an issue for me. But if I had one where I couldn't back up while cutting, or some kind of deadman switch, I would go around it in a heart beat. I also have a Troy tiller that has nothing on it, and I love it! I've seen all the crap on the new ones, no thanks.

Some things make sense, some things are for people that have no business cutting grass in the first place.

Comment

Simple question, not ever having owned or used a ride on mower.

In the UK we have window boxes for lawns.

Why do they not want you to mow when reversing ? Surely there are some area's you can only get to in reverse without a lot of faffing about ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
                  Why do they not want you to mow when reversing ? Surely there are some area's you can only get to in reverse without a lot of faffing about ?
                  Yes, you do need to mow in reverse and it's very annoying to have it kick out constantly.

I don't know for sure, but I bet that lawyers have something to do with it. Combined with someone who once had an accident because they weren't looking back when they reversed.

Sure isn't about user friendly functionality.

Comment

I have never heard of the reversing deal. That would suck big time! I am constantly backing up while mowing. What is the world coming to.
                    Andy

Comment

All of your push mowers are loaded with the same features as well.
                      If you let go of the handle the motor stops, a real pain if you have to pick up junk you find when mowing like dog bones etc.
                      Long discharge shut protectors are also a pain as it only lets you use one side of the mower to trim up against things.
                      I would imagine all these PIA features came about as more and more idiots sued the mower companies for there own lack of smarts. LIke the moron who mows the lawn bare foot or the complete moron who sticks his hand in the side of the discharge opening to unclog the wet grass while the thing is running. Same goes with snow blowers.
                      Slowley over the years I've seen mor and more of these features being added.

JL................

Comment

OK go ahead and call me a safety Nazi, but these features are on mowers due to some idiot backing over their toes, etc. Same for safety devices on other machines. I would not disable the dead man seat on my Snapper any more than I would remove the guards on my bench grinder. Just does not make any sense.

Comment

My front yard and back yard are on two different levels. Several years ago I was cutting the slope by the house with a POS John Deere mower when it got away from me and rolled over. We parted company and when we ended up, I was backed up against the stone retaining wall looking into the blades of the mower. It did have a seat cutoff and the engine and blades had stopped or the outcome might have been quite a bit different.

That day at about the same time, a half mile down the road, a young man rolled another mower into a ditch and was killed. I figured the Lawn Mower God had passed over and spared me for some reason.

I now have a Simplicity with a seat switch, but no back up switches. I recently discovered that the seat switch can be over ridden when getting off to move things by setting the brake. Until then I happily put up with the inconvenience of restarting the mower when dismounting.

The Simplicity is my lawn mower. I have a 30+ year old Wheel Horse for my snow plow. Cast iron Kohler engines last forever.
                          Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Stan View Post
                            OK go ahead and call me a safety Nazi, but these features are on mowers due to some idiot backing over their toes, etc. Same for safety devices on other machines. I would not disable the dead man seat on my Snapper any more than I would remove the guards on my bench grinder. Just does not make any sense.
                            The safety feature on the push mower didn't do me a damned bit of good. I tripped and fell over backward, pulling the mower up onto my feet, nearly severing my big toe. Good thing I had my motorcycle boots on rather than tennis shoes.

Some genius safety expert concluded that a normal person will carefully remember to let go of the only thing he is holding onto when he falls backward.
                            Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                            ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

I bought a new John Deere tractor back in the 90's. I was dragging our riding arena and when I finished I shut it down and got off. I told a girl that worked for me to take the tractor back up to the barn. She had run my old tractor for many years. She jumped on the tractor and it wouldn't start so she came and got me and told me the tractor wouldn't start. We went back down and I stepped on the tractor and it started right away. It happened that she wasn't heavy enough for the weight setting I had on the seat. The seat has an adjustment for how many pounds the operator weighs. So her punny little butt didn't engage the kill switch. We set the seat to her weight and all was good.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Thank goodness I havent been associated with mower/tractors for a long time.
                                The one I had and used for mowing, snow blower, and rototilling for 25 years,
                                a Bowlens 1050, had no (zero) safety "switches" on it. Mowed about 3 acres
                                of hill country in central PA, blew snow from about 0.3 miles of dirt lane, and
                                rototilled a reasonable size garden all those years. For the last 20 been able
                                to mow a tiny patch of grass with an electric (extension cord) mower which
                                I tie the cord around the hand lever to keep the motor running. :-)
                                The "Safety Nazis" will be (if it hasn't already) the downfall of this country.
                                ...lew...

Comment

Working...
                                X