Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Defeating safety switches on newer lawn tractors (seat, reverse, blade, etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
    Simple question, not ever having owned or used a ride on mower.

In the UK we have window boxes for lawns.

Why do they not want you to mow when reversing ? Surely there are some area's you can only get to in reverse without a lot of faffing about ?
    There have been instances of small children getting run over and mowed when the rider went into reverse without looking behind him. I've noticed with my children that they like to follow me on foot while I mow, so I can see how that can happened, they are small, fast and quiet.
    Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

It's been a while, but the last lawn tractor I messed with had a special connector on the seat switch. There was a set of contacts in the connector itself, and the engine wouldn't run with the connector removed from the switch.
      Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

I can see the frustration with the back-up switch but perhaps there is a real reason for it. I would like to suggest that instead of permanently rewiring around it, that a bypass switch could be added.

Or, better yet, how about a circuit that only bypasses it for a short time interval, like 15 to 30 seconds. You push a button and it is disabled for that time. And pushing it would remind you that you should look behind BEFORE backing up. Perhaps locate that switch behind the seat so you MUST turn around to reach it. I think this could be done with a time delay relay or a simple 555 timer circuit.
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Perhaps you should have sued the mfg. because the machine didn't give you a warning shock to let go of the handle as you were falling.

JL.................
          Originally posted by Weston Bye View Post
          The safety feature on the push mower didn't do me a damned bit of good. I tripped and fell over backward, pulling the mower up onto my feet, nearly severing my big toe. Good thing I had my motorcycle boots on rather than tennis shoes.

Some genius safety expert concluded that a normal person will carefully remember to let go of the only thing he is holding onto when he falls backward.

Comment

Originally posted by winchman View Post
            It's been a while, but the last lawn tractor I messed with had a special connector on the seat switch. There was a set of contacts in the connector itself, and the engine wouldn't run with the connector removed from the switch.
            I remember seeing that done as well, just unplug the connector. But the safety systems have become more complex and a break in the circuit usually means the machine won't start.

JL.................

Comment

Originally posted by goose View Post
              There have been instances of small children getting run over and mowed when the rider went into reverse without looking behind him. I've noticed with my children that they like to follow me on foot while I mow, so I can see how that can happened, they are small, fast and quiet.
              Gary, that is typical kid behavior, I will not even put the deck in gear if there is a kid outdoors, always did that with my kids, and now grandkids. Too much chance of the blades throwing something and injuring them, even if they are not close to the mower.
              James

Comment

Originally posted by goose View Post
                they are small, fast and quiet.
                Small, OK. Fast, OK.

QUIET? not so much......

But you have a point, they are only quiet when they SHOULD be making noise.
                CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

IMO, J.Randall just explained the ultimate safety device: a brain -- It's versatile, adaptable, lightning fast, and can easily be "transferred" to any other device.

Any other safety device is someone ELSE'S idea of what a safety device is, and how it should function (and more often than not: it's incorrect and/or a nuisance).

Comment

I mow with a mid sixties Cub Cadet so no need to worry about the STUPID switches.I figure if I do something stupid and get hurt it's my fault not International Harvesters.

Comment

I have a Honda Harmony riding mower. They have safety lockout switches on the seat, cutter, brake and neutral position. If I were to remove any of them (I won't), I could do without the seat and brake but the cutter and the neutral switch are the most important.

If the machine isn't in neutral, it won't start and if the cutter is engaged there would be too much drag to start the motor anyway.

If you have a safety switch removed and anyone is hurt, including yourself, there would be problems with insurance and there could be lots of liability.

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum View Post
                        My front yard and back yard are on two different levels. Several years ago I was cutting the slope by the house with a POS John Deere mower when it got away from me and rolled over. We parted company and when we ended up, I was backed up against the stone retaining wall looking into the blades of the mower. It did have a seat cutoff and the engine and blades had stopped or the outcome might have been quite a bit different.
                        This is a perfect example of why I will not disable the safety systems on my rider and anyone who does becomes a prime candidate for a Darwin Award.

Comment

I have a Husquana "zero turn" ride on mower.

http://m.husqvarna.com/au/products/z...mowers/rz3019/

It pretty well requires to learn new mowing/driving skills compared to the normal/older model "steering wheel and front end" mowers.

It is twice (or better) than Simplicity and Toro mowers I've had and it can get into and out of places that the older mowers never could.

It has all the safety devices and interlocks that are required for manufacturing for or in(to) the EU (European Union).

THere are very good reasons for each and every one or them either alone or in combination with others.

I have never needed to "short cut" or "short out" any of the safety devices and switches on any of my machines over 40 years here - and won't be in the future either.

I'd be more concerned about people mowing with a hand power (physical "push-pull") mower and walking backwards pulling the grass ejection chute (and the spinning blade) toward them. Its bad enough with steel-capped boots but many are wearing light foot-wear or "thongs" and not all are men either - as I've see kids and women mowing like that too.

Pushing or driving a mower over a gravel drive-way or stones with the blade still spinning is not a good idea either.

The blade tip speed on my Husquana is 16600 fpm / 84.33 m/s and won't be far behind that on my two manua;"Honda" mowers either.

All three mowers spin at high/top speed continuously.

So a "picked up" stone etc. has quite an exit velocity and can do quite some damage if it "gets away".

Comment

I have a two year old Cub Cadet 1550. It has (had) both seat switch and reverse blade cutoff. The seat switch was nothing more than a normally open contact microswitch, easily defeated with a jumper. Cub Cadet did put a switch position on the ignition switch to defeat the anti reverse feature. Once the tractor is started, you simply push a button and turn the ignition switch back one notch.

All these safeties are put in place for a reason. Something bad happened at some time; the company was sued, the government stepped in to save us all again, and a particular safety was born. If we choose to bypass them (and I do), then it's on us.

So be careful out there. The gubment hasn't implemented everything on it's list to save us all yet.

Comment

All of the safety devices, switches, etc. in the world cannot and will not protect the idiot who has no common sense or refuses to use it. These machines can be and are dangerous if misused, but they are no different then a table saw, lathe, etc. After all is said and done it is up to the individual to recognize the machine and his limitations. No government rule can do that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Scientist View Post
                                All of the safety devices, switches, etc. in the world cannot and will not protect the idiot who has no common sense or refuses to use it. These machines can be and are dangerous if misused, but they are no different then a table saw, lathe, etc. After all is said and done it is up to the individual to recognize the machine and his limitations. No government rule can do that for you.
                                Precisely!
                                Are there safety devices on mowers to disengage the blade when children are rolling on the lawn playing with kittens next to your mower as you hit a patch of gravel? Or how about toasters that cease to function when placed on the edges of bathtubs.
                                Use some common sense when using power tools, electricity, guns, etc., etc. There are no guarantees for a perfect outcome for every conceivable scenario that one can possibly think of.

Don't expect someone else to look after your ass. Show respect for forces for which one doesn't have total control over.
                                God gave us a brain....it's up to us to use it.
                                Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Working...
                                X